Ear Problem
Oct 16, 2008 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Doorknob

Head-Fier
First things, either my parents are just really stubborn or they just don't want me to get my ear checked by a proper audiologist. They called our primary physician and guess what they said, stop listening to your headphones for a COUPLE OF WEEKS. Couple of weeks, that's more then a hundred hours. Much more.

Right off the bat, checking up on ear is not possible. So I'm wondering if any of you can help me what the problem is.

I've been incredibly interested in music about a year ago, and have been listening to it usually about 2-5 hours daily. I don't have an SPL meter to check up on the output decibel, but I believe I listen at fairly low-moderate to moderate volumes. Definitely louder then just talking to other people as far as this is concerned.

When this happened? Right during classes of the school two days ago. The irony of this was that it was during the day when I was getting my hearing tests. I didn't notice anything odd until after an hour or two from the listening test. Just seating in my chair listening to somebody talk until I noticed something really odd was going on.

Now finally the problem with the ear. When everything is completely silent, there is nothing wrong with my ear. However, as soon as someone talks, their voice gets distorted pretty badly. Think of it as someone whistling, only distorted. Only my right ear is effected, not my left.

I've tested a bit around with EQ on Foobar (Equipment is modified Zero DAC/Amp with ATH A-900) and it seems that the frequency range around 880hz is where the sound gets distorted. Every other frequency range actually sounds fine.

Female voices can get really, really annoying to my ear, but male ones don't sound terrible unless they're high pitched or something. Basically 20% male 80% female.

Hopefully this can be fixed. Something is really wrong when I've been listening to music for only an year.

Edit: Arg, I think my right ear is leaving me too. It gets quite painful at times for no reason. No sound changes, just hurts.

Also ever since two days ago, I've limited my listening times to less then one hour. No more headphones for a while it seems.

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #2 of 8
Sounds like tinnitus. If your ear constantly rings, then it's totally tinnitus.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 8
As I stated, it doesn't constantly ring (actually more of a distorted whistle blow). When everything is silent, I don't hear anything at all, but as soon as someone talks, it just comes.

The closest reference of this sound I can relate to is when you kill Shodan at System Shock 2. Something like that. Horror music here I come.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 8
Anybody?

Also some new notes, when I just wake up and don't hear anything within my effected frequency range, nothing happens. As soon as I hear something loud enough and go away back to complete silence, my ear keeps on getting these constant sound. Not ringing, more of those kind of feeling as if your ear is drenched in water when taking a bath. More correctly it's as if the water is stuck inside one of your ear. Problem is I can't get that out.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Having your ears checked by a professional is mandatory IMHO. Not doing so may have undesired consequences you and your parents might regret for a lifetime.
BTW tinnitus is just a symptom, not a diagnosis nor a disease for itself.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 8
It might just be a simple and relatively harmless earwax problem on your tympanic membrane. Or, it could be something more serious. It needs to be checked out. If you're covered with insurance, you might just go to your regular physician and have them look inside your ear. If they can't see anything wrong, go to an ENT. Anyway, regardless, it definitely isn't tinnitus (which is very good news for you, believe me). I suffer from that to the point of suicidal tendencies, seriously.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doorknob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been incredibly interested in music about a year ago, and have been listening to it usually about 2-5 hours daily. I don't have an SPL meter to check up on the output decibel, but I believe I listen at fairly low-moderate to moderate volumes. Definitely louder then just talking to other people as far as this is concerned.

That is your problem right there. Too loud.

Lay off the music for a bit, and perhaps get some nasal decongestant to clear out the sinuses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back