Ear pain.
Sep 16, 2021 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Oirncj

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,before I start I'd like to mention a bit about my past with headphones.I've been using headphones for years without an issue but 3 years ago I attended a concert without protection and that left me with some mild tinnitus.I went to an audiologist where he run some tests and said everything looks fine and that I should keep on using headphones on low volume. Nonetheless I stopped using them for 3 years and protected my hearing during that time.My tinnitus became very minimal over the years and it stopped bothering me.

Fast forward to now,I wanna get back into headphones since they were a big part of my life ( music,gaming etc). Past days I tried to with the hd 598 and hd 599 but after a few hours they give me some discomfort and some minor pain deep in my ear along with spiking my tinnitus for a few hours afterwards even on really low volumes.

My question is should I try some other headphones that are different to the ones I mentioned or should I just give up headphones?

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 11
I feel that dynamic headphones can cause slight pain in my ears, as opposed to planars. I don’t know why that is, but I’ve noticed it several times. So, you might want to try a planar.

Also, I have tinnitus as well (likely due to medicines and previous heavy nicotine usage). I got paranoid and downloaded a decibel reader on my phone. I thought I was listening loud, but even at what I thought was a high volume my headphones rarely touched 70db. So, I’m good there, which was a relief. You might want to measure the loudness too to make sure you’re not going above 80-85db

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 11
I feel that dynamic headphones can cause slight pain in my ears, as opposed to planars. I don’t know why that is, but I’ve noticed it several times. So, you might want to try a planar.

Also, I have tinnitus as well (likely due to medicines and previous heavy nicotine usage). I got paranoid and downloaded a decibel reader on my phone. I thought I was listening loud, but even at what I thought was a high volume my headphones rarely touched 70db. So, I’m good there, which was a relief. You might want to measure the loudness too to make sure you’re not going above 80-85db

Yeah I did measure it with my phone as well it was around 65-70.Is there a big difference in sound between planars and dynamic ones?Also any recommendations are welcome.

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 11
Yeah I did measure it with my phone as well it was around 65-70.Is there a big difference in sound between planars and dynamic ones?Also any recommendations are welcome.
There is a difference with planars. I don't know if it is "big" but I feel it is noticeable. Maybe your dealer has a planar you can demo for a bit?

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 11
I can get away with listening to my HD650 with warmer recordings and amplification when mild tinnitus occurs.
I find the key is to not listen or challenge yourself for too long periods, and learn when to take a break.

Sep 18, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 11
I would say don’t diagnose yourself without seeing a doctor. I thought I have tinnitus and maybe I do… but it ended up that I have way less discomfort when I find more tamed headphones.
Shure aonic 4 doesn’t make me feel like I need to lower the volume to avoid pain. Shure SE215 on other hand was very like that. Along with a lot of other headphones I tried.

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Have you tried experimenting with ‘extreme’ eq to identify problem frequencies? Like turning a treble frequency ALL the way down then a different one to see if it helps… or the opposite - turn up a lower or mid frequency way up to see if you can tolerate it. Maybe that can steer you in a helpful direction.
That helped me with my Xbox and headphones.

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 11
Have you tried experimenting with ‘extreme’ eq to identify problem frequencies? Like turning a treble frequency ALL the way down then a different one to see if it helps… or the opposite - turn up a lower or mid frequency way up to see if you can tolerate it. Maybe that can steer you in a helpful direction.
That helped me with my Xbox and headphones.

yeah I did try to eq them without much success,generally bassy stuff bother me the most I think.

I would say don’t diagnose yourself without seeing a doctor. I thought I have tinnitus and maybe I do… but it ended up that I have way less discomfort when I find more tamed headphones.
Shure aonic 4 doesn’t make me feel like I need to lower the volume to avoid pain. Shure SE215 on other hand was very like that. Along with a lot of other headphones I tried.
I did see a doc and he said everything looks fine.
I don't know I might be stressing too much about this and need to get used to headphones again.

Feb 2, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #11 of 11
yeah I did try to eq them without much success,generally bassy stuff bother me the most I think.

I did see a doc and he said everything looks fine.
I don't know I might be stressing too much about this and need to get used to headphones again.
Hi! Did you figure something out? I got similar problems but haven’t got a solution yet. Tried MANY headphones. Planar, electrostatic, dynamics…from sennheiser to Audeze etc… maybe it’s time to give it up haha
Anyways, interested in your jiureny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back