Ear Noise Feedback (Am I weird)
Feb 7, 2008 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Marl

100+ Head-Fier
So if I every plug up my ears really well (fingers, shures) and listen, I can hear some high pitched, constant noises. These have been constant for quite a while, but are really low and I can't notice them under normal ear usage.

I don't listen to very loud music (in my opinion). About normalish volume, which I sort of confirmed by other people who put on my headphones and didn't scream in terror. And this has been going on for longer than I remember. Is this just the sound of normal body functioning or should I get my ears checked/cleaned? Keep in mind the noise is really low and I need to listen to here it.

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 5
I think you're just hearing your own blood flowing through your ears. (like hearing the 'sea' when holding a shell or something to your ear).

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 5
I get it when it's very quiet; eg. when i'm trying to go to sleep.

It's a constant sine, no ringing.

Apparently it is your ears searching for a signal/sound. Its just normal I believe.

It's just distracting when its quiet. The more i focus on it, even when i don't want to, the more noticeable it is!

I don't listen to loud music either, only through my speakers, but rarely and not extremeley loud.

Matt

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 5
I just got this in my right ear after flying to San Francisco and back this weekend. I went to the doctor because it seemed like tinnitus and I was worried about hearing loss/damage.

In my case there is no visable damage to my eardrum or any perforations. There is no impacted wax or obstructions of the ear canal....everything looks healthy. The doctor said it could just be temporary tinnitus (idyomatic, I think she said) and it will go away of it's own accord. If you've had this for awhile it could be a sign of damage.

The only real way to know for sure is to see your doctor and talk about it and possibly get your hearing checked.

tinnitus can be caused by any number of things, temporary damage, permanent damage, some drugs can cause it, ear infections, migranes, changes ins air pressure (from flying)...etc.

If you're really concerned about it you should see your doctor. They would be able to tell you what's causing it in your case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back