Ear Max headamp tubes???
Dec 1, 2002 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ServinginEcuador

Founder of the Head-Fi Pay-to-Post Program.
Can anyone help me identify the tubes in this amp?? I had my dad buy this and it didn't come with any kind of manual to help with info about the amp or tubes. He wants to tuberoll it, but I don't know what tubes it uses, much less what tubes sound good in it!!!

Ear Max amp

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Dec 1, 2002 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 7
....Tube complement: 1 x AT7; 2 x 6DJ8 )or equivalent)

Telefunkens, Bugle Boys, and Sylvania Gold Brand...

Look out!

biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Can anyone help me identify the tubes in this amp?? I had my dad buy this and it didn't come with any kind of manual to help with info about the amp or tubes. He wants to tuberoll it, but I don't know what tubes it uses, much less what tubes sound good in it!!!

Ear Max amp

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Depends on whether it's the straight Earmax or the Pro version.
Here are links to both:
Earmax: http://www.audioadvancements.com/headphones/earmax.html
Earmax Pro:
http://www.audioadvancements.com/headphones/earpro.html
Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks Joe & Rick!! It is definitely not a Pro, just a regular version. The label says Ear Max on it.

Rick - why the Look out warning??? Big expenses coming the way of my father some time soon??

Are you sure about the tube compliment?? I ask as the site Joe linked in states (1) ECC81 and (2) ECC86?? Never heard of an 86, but it should probably ECC88.

Dec 2, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 7
OBTW - What are the tube placements?? Are the ECC88 tubes on either side of the input AT7??

Dec 2, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
OBTW - What are the tube placements?? Are the ECC88 tubes on either side of the input AT7??

I believe the ECC88 and 6DJ8 tubes are equivalent and interchangeable, as is the ECC81 and AT7.
And yes, the ECC81/AT7 is the one in the middle. I replaced the AT7 on my EMP with a Sylvania Gold and the improvement was noticeable, but not dramatic. I think the stock unit is pretty damned good as is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 9:22 AM Post #7 of 7
Man, the 12AT7 in my EMP changed the tonal balance radically:

RFT - the warmth and texture is gone. Tonal balance becomes hard, grainy, and analytical like a bad solid state amp.

Sylvania GB 6201 - bass goes all the way to the bottom with enough authority to rupture your eardrum, and highs as high as the amp allows. Midrange is there in massive quantities, and sounds horse (big lower midrange emphasis). Soundstage is very reverberant. But transients is where this tube falls flat on its face, with bass and treble distorting all over the place.

RCA - warm. Uninspiring and unoffensive at the same time.

EI - warm, with good dynamics and a robust but not bloated presentation. Naturally detailed without brightness.

That's the extent of my limited 12AT7 rolling with that unit, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back