Ear Impressions
Feb 13, 2009 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Surferp

New Head-Fier
I have an appt. to get impressions on Tuesday for my LiveWires. On the LiveWires order form it says "Please ask the hearing professional to
take the impressions to at least the second bend in your ear canal. The impressions should be taken with your mouth opening and closing several times while the impression material is in your ear" Where as on the Ultimate Ears website it says the impressions should be taken with your mouth open the entire time the impression is being made and that a "bite block" preferably used to keep that mouth in the open position. Which of these methods is the recommended method from those of you have gotten impressions done and had them come out really well? Mouth open for the whole time or open and close as the impression is in your ear? thanks!

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surferp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an appt. to get impressions on Tuesday for my LiveWires. On the LiveWires order form it says "Please ask the hearing professional to
take the impressions to at least the second bend in your ear canal. The impressions should be taken with your mouth opening and closing several times while the impression material is in your ear" Where as on the Ultimate Ears website it says the impressions should be taken with your mouth open the entire time the impression is being made and that a "bite block" preferably used to keep that mouth in the open position. Which of these methods is the recommended method from those of you have gotten impressions done and had them come out really well? Mouth open for the whole time or open and close as the impression is in your ear? thanks!

Jason at Sleek Audio had me use a bite block for my impressions on my SA6 Customs.

Hi Dad has been in the hearing aid business 30 years. I'm hoping that is the right way. My SA6 Customs wee shipped already.

Feb 13, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jason has also asked me to do the same. im sure they all work out fine though.

I'm not sure given how I hear some posters talk about poor fit. In fact this morning I talked to Jason about it, because one guy said he sent his SA6 customs back because they did not isolate well and were sliding out.

Jason told me the configuration of some peoples ear canals are such that it is very hard to get it right. I think he said if it was to straight or something like that. He did however indicate this was the exception and not the rule. I posted this in another thread earlier today.

Feb 13, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 10
I saw this too when I went to get my impressions made by my audiologist. She assured me that it's basically the same thing (opening and closing vs bite block). I asked if this would effect the mold and she said everybody makes the molds with the bite blocks, so she didn't know why someone would put "open and close your mouth a couple of times while the mold cures", but using a bite blocks ensures that the ear buds would still make a good seal when your singing or chewing gum or anything else with your mouth open while the buds are in your ears.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am getting it done for 55$ cdn and the audiologist is coming to my door to do it! great service. i have seen up to 125$ cdn but i am glad i am getting it done this way.

Anyone living or visiting Florida can have them done for free by Jason at Sleek Audio. Of course, assuming you are buying Sleek. He also did loads of them for free at CES this year.

Feb 13, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 10
i'm getting my impressions done for 50 US dollars. So the general consensus then is to use a bite block??? I didn't quite pick up the answer to the question, sorry if i'm too brain dead right now to have missed that. Bite block or not?

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surferp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm getting my impressions done for 50 US dollars. So the general consensus then is to use a bite block??? I didn't quite pick up the answer to the question, sorry if i'm too brain dead right now to have missed that. Bite block or not?

Yep! Bite Block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back