EAR HP4 questions
Nov 15, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by freethetree
DCT-2 sounded bad?
eek.gif

Warm up, crap I forgot about that. How long do tube hp amps typically take till theyre soundin sweet?

30mins-48 hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 15, 2002 at 12:07 PM Post #17 of 20
kelly - lol yeah I guess I shoulda been more specific. I searched and found the answers for the amps I was thinking of though.

Hirsch - Have you had a chance to listen to the Zotl with your RS1s yet?

Nov 15, 2002 at 3:16 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by freethetree
Hirsch - Have you had a chance to listen to the Zotl with your RS1s yet?

Not yet, but if I haven't posted by the end of the weekend PM me. I'm going to have it set up at the meet this weekend, so you may be able to get multiple impressions.

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:12 PM Post #19 of 20
The ZOTL and the RS-1 are a good combination with potential. The RS-1 sounds very good with this amp. However, there is something off that's particularly apparent in music such as female vocals. On Jennifer Warnes' "The Well", the RS-1/ZOTL combo makes her sound as though she's not drawing breath properly. It's not a full sound, almost nasal. Switch to the EAR, and you can hear the full range of the vocals. On other types of music, such as blues guitar, differences are much less noticeable.

As it stands, the RS-1 is more sensitive to differences between the EAR and the ZOTL right now than the R10. Curious.

This isn't saying the RS-1 is bad with the ZOTL. I've heard the RS-1 sound bad, and this isn't it. This is a direct comparison with an amp that lists for almost five times the price of the ZOTL in the US. Also, the Ken-Rads I'm using in the ZOTL are probably not the best tubes for this particular type of music, where the differences are most apparent. Sylvania VT-231's may well resolve this issue (at a cost to the low end).

Nov 17, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #20 of 20
IIRC the DCT-2 sounded quite awful with a number of different headphones both times I listened to it. It got about 3-4hrs warm up at the WoH tour, and I used HD600s w/ Clou Red and Cardas.

The biggest feature of the sound in my mind was the absolute lack of soundstage - think mono.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back