Ear+HD chassis and layout (updated pics page 3)
Jun 9, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #91 of 105
I found the better image and swapped it in:
1600x1200/~1/2 meg

Planning wiring is enjoyable. It's a bit hard to see in the underside pics, but I rotated the 12B4As 180 degrees, which made the heater wiring neater, yet didn't compromise the signal path wiring.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #92 of 105
Very nice job Mark.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #93 of 105
I just thought I'd chime in and say:

Beautiful work, voodoo!

Oct 1, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #95 of 105
Beautiful work! I wish I had that kind of skill. I was noticing that there are 4 tubes instead of the original 3. Did you rework the schematic of the original ear+ or is what you did mainly a case modification?

Oct 1, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #96 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by dslknight
Beautiful work! I wish I had that kind of skill. I was noticing that there are 4 tubes instead of the original 3. Did you rework the schematic of the original ear+ or is what you did mainly a case modification?

I saw that, at first I thought it was a reflection. However when you look at the underside picture there is a 4th tube socket. Wonder what that tube is for? it looks to small to be a rectifier tube.

Oct 1, 2006 at 1:42 PM Post #97 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Wonder what that tube is for? it looks to small to be a rectifier tube.

It is a retifier tube. IIRC one of the big changes that Mark made to his Ear was to redesign the power supply to make it tube rectified.

Oct 1, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #98 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
It is a retifier tube. IIRC one of the big changes that Mark made to his Ear was to redesign the power supply to make it tube rectified.

Ah... Slow rising B+.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #99 of 105
Yes, it's a 12X4 rectifier. But rather than acting as a full-wave rectifier, it is following a pair of hexfreds to form a bridge rectifier. It's still very fast, but has a nice rise time.

This hybrid bridge PSU checks out to be quieter than a full SS bridge, but let's not forget that specs alone don't make something sound better. And I'm not claiming that I could hear the diff between the hybrid bridge and a SS bridge. The B+ PSU also has an L-C filter stage added to it, which tightened up the performance a fair bit.

(edit: found pic- the two hexfreds have the red heatshrink on thir tabs and are mounted directly to the 12X4 socket)
bridge.jpg

It's entirely possible that someone could build one just like this and then think it sounded better with the SS bridge. Ron Welborne, for example, prefers a SS rectifier to the tube rectifier in his DRD amps.

And thanks again for the compliments. I'm pretty happy with it in both respects. I'm re-casing my Cornet2 tube phono stage to match it, and that's proving to be more challenging, as far as the actual casework is concerned. No pics of that, yet.

Oct 2, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #100 of 105
I understand the idea behind a rectifier and in general how the different parts of an amp work. However, when it comes to the details needed to design your own psu like you did (i.e. the equations, electricity), I'm at a loss. I checked the technical docs at the diy resouces and some of it is really basic on what the parts of the amp are for while others are really complicated referencing equations that I can't understand. Could you recommend any references for a beginner so that something like this could be made later on down the road? I'm willing to do anything short of obtaining an electrical engineering degree to learn.

Oct 2, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #101 of 105
Check out the duncanamps Tube Power Supply Designer at www.duncanamps.com -- Very handy when you want to design your own.

Before doing that, though, you may one to pick up a book to help you understand the basics.. I'm not sure how experienced you are, so there are several that could fit the bill, depending on how much knowledge you have already.

Voodoo: Just want to say again that it's a beautiful amp... Great work! If it sounds even half as good as it looks, it must be sonic bliss!

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #102 of 105
Quote:

Could you recommend any references for a beginner so that something like this could be made later on down the road? I'm willing to do anything short of obtaining an electrical engineering degree to learn.

This PDF from Hammond outlines much about figuring capacity and approximate outcome of various bridge and transformer combinations. Very useful, though it does not cover losses to specific tubes.

The other tool that is valuable is as motherone pointed out- Duncan's PSU Designer II. It covers both SS and VT rectifiers in various configurations, though there are no models for a hybrid bridge. I got my model as close as possible using a SS bridge model, figuring in V losses to a 12X4 rectifier. Then I built it on a slab of plywood...
12x4_breadboard.jpg

12x4_lashup.jpg

...and measured the actual results, making a slight adjustment to the dropper resistor to tweak the loaded output reading. It was pretty close though.

I have no specific qualifications regarding EE myself, I am just an avid hobbyist, who also learns from his mistakes.
blink.gif
If you understand the data in the Hammond PDF, and understand Ohm's Law, then you can cobble something like this together. I did spend a few weeks worth of spare time swapping parts in and out of the simulator, comparing ripple, rise time, loaded and unloaded output, etc. It's not infallible by any means, but it is an excellent tool to aid in visualizing 'what if...'. Way faster than breadboarding, but as you can see, it is not a replacement for it. It is a great preliminary supplement to it.

So while I can highly recommend a tool like PSUDII, I do not think it should be used in place of physical testing. Even programs like SPICE sometimes offer results a bit different than actual solder and wire will show, coupled with components and conditions being somewhat inconsistent. It's always good to break out the parts and build it, without worrying about casework at first. It goes a LOT faster when you remove that factor, and the results are tangible. Just be careful (obviously) when working with either tubes or mains power, as you can be dead in a heartbeat if your hands wander. It's safe enough if you treat exposed circuitry with the respect it deserves.

I've done this already, but I have to credit Lloyd Peppard for his help as well. I was up front in asking his assistance, and outlining my plans. I even bought a kit from him without the chassis, which he was happy to do. I have to support him, too. He couldn't be a nicer guy. He, as well as Pete Millett, and Andrea Ciuffoli have all developed projects utilizing a hybrid VT/SS bridge rectifier, and all seem to enjoy the result. In fact, the original Mapletree Ear amp had a hybrid tube rectifier setup, as you will see the fourth tube. A lot of folks assume that it was the extra tube for a preamp output, since the hybrid setup is not available anymore. I went ahead and configured the added choke and cap filter on my own, using PSUDII to see what it looks like.

Motherone: Thanks a bunch... I am really happy with it. I was quite reluctant to do this, for fear of ending up with an amp that did not sound as good as the original, which I liked very much. The initial project was mainly to accomodate a switched input, and a nicer chassis. Then it expanded to include room for a better attenuator in the future. And what the hell, I had room for a better PSU, so why not try to do that, too.

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #103 of 105
Thanks for the help and suggestions. Yours is something that i'm aspring to. Originally I came to head-fi just for a suggestion on a good headphone. Oh well, down the rabbit hole I go....
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #104 of 105
Quote:

Originally I came to head-fi just for a suggestion on a good headphone.

I can't stop laughing!
Let us all know when your last dime is gone.
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #105 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
I can't stop laughing!
Let us all know when your last dime is gone.
wink.gif

Erm.. No kidding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back