Ear Gear Expo (EGX) at AXPONA show Chicago April 25-27
Apr 1, 2014 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Vangelis

100+ Head-Fier
Looks really interesting but I don't know which headphone related companys are going to show at this event. Nice to have as large a show such as Axpona in the mid west. Check it out.

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 18
Looks really interesting but I don't know which headphone related companys are going to show at this event. Nice to have as large a show such as Axpona in the mid west. Check it out.

Looks like the list has been updated on the AXPONA site, Mr speakers, Sennheiser, JhAudio, Audeze, A&K, Woo Audio, Focal, Noble Audio, Sony, ZMF headphones, Wywires, etc.

http://www.axpona.com/

Apr 24, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 18
At the Benchmark in the Westin Ohare...getting primed for the weekend. ..

Apr 24, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 18
 I went to last years show and it was a lot of fun. It had been too long a time since we had a good high end show in Chicago. The last one was that I can remember was the high end show they had at the Chicago historical society building on clark way back when?
  Looking at the exhibitor list there are a lot of repeat exhibitors this year from what I remembered from last years show. That is a  good thing because the exhibitors thought enough of last years showing and thought it would be worth it to come back. I hope this show becomes an annual event for us show starved audiophile in the Chicago area. I sure miss the consumer electronics shows when they held them in Chicago.
Those days were a blast. I am a union person but I guess the unions became a bit too pushy about everything back then and we lost a great show to union greed.
  Hope to see a lot of people at axpona this year. Have a blast.

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #5 of 18
Here's a shot from last night while some were setting up.

I'll update it later this morning when they open.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 18
 There are a pretty good mix of headphones and hardware on display. A great  place to check out some of the phones and amps you have read about. I will check out some more tomorrow but I got a chance to check out some fine examples today.

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #8 of 18
I was there yesterday and am going back today.  I took some pictures but after downloading them they all seem to be blurry.  Damn cheap camera or maybe it was the photographer. 
biggrin.gif
 Oh, and I lost my phone too!  But I did put it in lost mode and about 15 minutes later someone called to say they found it, awesome!!!   

I got to hear the Chord Hugo through some Noble IEMs and the sound was very clear but I thought it lacked a bit of warmth.  I'm not sure it's $2500 good maybe $500.  Well I think the total with the headphones and DAP was around $6500.  That's just my opinion.

Here are some other photos.  I don't think Schit is here and I really wanted hear some of their stuff.

I finally got to briefly listen to some Senn 800s.  They really didn't appeal to me but that's just my opinion.

Some non-headphone stuff.  I don't know why but to me a lot of it sounded very bright and loud.  Maybe that's the audiophile sound?

I liked the KEF speakers.  They sounded a lot bigger than they really were.

I always liked the look of McIntosh equipment.  But again a little too bright and loud.

Not sure what this equipment was but it put out some good sound.

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 18
Here are some shots form this morning...

Steady stream of people coming through.  It time for lunch though...

Apr 26, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 18
Fire alarm went off and wouldn't you know it I was on the 12th floor.

A little bit of forced exercise walking down 12 flights of stairs. ..

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 18
Wow, good thing I was gone by then. After going to this year's Axpona I think last year's event was better. I'm not a big fan of the Westin hotel. I'm sure rooms are pretty expensive but I thought the inside of the hotel wasn't that great. At last year's event I was given a badge and moved from floor to floor and room to room without any hassle. This year I was given a bracelet and I guess those were security guards that kept asking to see by bracelet. I felt like I was being watched and couldn't really relax. Food and snacks inside the hotel were outrageously expensive. I had lunch in their restaurant and a couple hours later I was hungry again. I ordered the roasted chicken for $18. I received a small chicken breast on top of some beans and I think spinach. For $18 + $4 for a diet coke I was expecting more. If Axpona is back next year and held here then I think I'll pass.

Apr 27, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 18
I listened to this setup and it was amazing.  This gets my vote for best sound at the show.  It's an A&K Titan DAP and a Final Audio Design Pandora headphone.  I was listening to Patricia Barber and I never heard her sound so good and I've seen her live!

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #14 of 18
The hotel corridors were confusing it would have been nice if there were signs indicating west and east and some arrows .I kept losing my bearings about where I had been before and where I was going to. I probably agree about the point with the wrist bands and the security personal. Big brother is watching. I did eat in the only restaurant and the bill for a burger and a coffee with tip was 22 dollars. the coffee was over 5 dollars(wow).
  I did feel more at ease at last years event.
 I talked with some of the exhibitors and they said their rooms were much difficult to set up for sound at the westin.
 But I still had a great time at the show. I got to hear a lot of headgear and amplifiers that I have read about and have never had any chance to actually hear them. Kudos to woo audio for showing up. All their amps sounded pretty damn good. I enjoyed ear expo room on the main floor. Though at times the din was distracting while listening to some of the open back phones.
  Of course there were also a lot of good sounding speaker rooms as well. I felt way more good rooms than bad
I talked with frank van alstine and he said his preamp has a very respectable headphone amp built into it that utilizes the preamps line stage with the addition of a buffer for headphone use.
Too bad he did not have a headphone to try the preamp headphone out .I would have liked to hear it.
  I also finally got a chance to check out a dark star the dynamics on this headphone amp just cannot be touched by any headphone amp that I heard at this years axpona event. nothing really came close. of course not everyone will  like its sound.
 I was astounded  with the dynamics of the convergent technology sl1 preamp. They have the best dynamics of any the preamps I heard at this years axpona. The dynamics were surprising considering the single ended output(no balanced outputs supplied). It did sound more like the dynamics you get from a balanced piece.
  Well there was a lot more to comment about but I do not want to get too long winded.
 The show was a blast.
   Come baaaaaaaack next year axpona!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #15 of 18
I'm still new to this hobby (addiction), and now have attended two shows (Denver CamJam & Axpona).  Just curious; what are considered the can't miss shows that are open to the general public?  If you could only go to one or two shows, which would they be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back