ear fatigue and deaf!
Jul 11, 2007 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dreamwhisper

1000+ Head-Fier
hey
i'm playin music directly from my from my zen vision m to my new beyer dt880's because my amp doesnt get here for few more days and I'm noticing considerable ear fatigue.

I may have some hearing loss in the ear that experiences the fatigue.. My ability to hear music out of that ear goes down within minutes of listening to a track... after a couple tracks my ear actually hurts... I've got the volume on 13/25 which is 1 or 2 db less than what i ususally use for my AKG K81DJs
..when I'm not listening to music my ear feels a little plugged.. could I possibly have maad earwax buildup?

I used to go to live reggae shows every week and dance right in front of the maxxed out bass amp.. (but my other ear is fine)
also in the past my friend has maxxed out his car speaker thats directly beside my affected ear(when I realized it was maxxed out I got PISSED but it was too late I had some temporary hearing loss out of the affected ear- this on our way to a trance music fest lol) I didn't notice any problems after teh fest

Could this be partially in my head? Once ears are damaged are you ****ed.. or is there anything you can do?

thanks

..In the meantime I'm gonna get the earwax checked out
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 14
I kind of feel the same effect in my right ear if I listen to sibilant songs loudly out of my ipod for a while with my HP890s (the treble can get a bit wild). Not a problem with my other phones though.

Maybe you need some time to adjust to the DT880s?

I don't know about restoring lost hearing but there are promising developments in preventing hearing loss. According to this artcle free radical damage is a major cause of hearing loss and that "vitamins A, C, and E act in synergy with magnesium to effectively prevent noise-induced trauma.". According to this article aspirin could help stop hearing loss that is caused due to the side effects of some medications (although that article goes way above my head hehe.)

Now excuse me while I go to a pharmacy to get some vitamins
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:10 AM Post #7 of 14
Exactly the same thing happend to me with my dt990, I got fatigued and the ears started to hurt and ring, even at low volumes, I don't think it is good for the ears to get used to this unnatural treble. this is the nature of the lower ohms beyers, maybe smooth tubeamps can help them, or try 600ohm.

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly the same thing happend to me with my dt990, I got fatigued and the ears started to hurt and ring, even at low volumes...

If i hear a ringing in my ears, i would fear tinitus. But if i hear music with my solid-state amp and Sony SA-5000, i can get a hurt in my ears that´s without hearing strange sounds. It just feels like if it´s hot and red in my ear canals.

I don´t get this hearing at realy low volumes. Allways the best for your ears.

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattydraddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If i hear a ringing in my ears, i would fear tinitus. But if i hear music with my solid-state amp and Sony SA-5000, i can get a hurt in my ears that´s without hearing strange sounds. It just feels like if it´s hot and red in my ear canals.

I don´t get this hearing at realy low volumes. Allways the best for your ears.

If you get fatigued in your ears when listening, try to put some hearingprotection on, then you will hear a little ringing. I always get ringing in my ears if I have been at a club or even a loud cinema, this dissapears after about an hour.

I like the warm sound for my ears, I could never use a grado it would damage my sensitive ears.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by onvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it always like that? I find that i get ear fatigue after listening to headphones when I am really tired or stressed..
blink.gif
but a switch of the crossfeed helps a lot..
biggrin.gif

welll I did have less than six hours of sleep the night before so i was tired and stressed

My headphones are already 250 ohm, so theyre not like dt990/80's or anything
I'll give my ears a bit of a break from em and then start listening at low volumes and listen up to what my ears tell me, I'd hate to have to trade them in for some k701's

thanks for the input guys

how are the 701's with the Meier Aria?

EDIT: They're not getting too fatigued now, yesterday I was also trying to compensate for the sound definition i would get with an amp by turning the volume up higher..

I also realized that by turning down the volume peridically you can train your ears to appreciate even quite a low volume..
cool

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #12 of 14
Stop listening to headphones (all of them) for a while. At least a week. Sometimes, your ears just need a break. Fatigue can be cumulative and once it gets to the point to where you need a break, it ain't gonna get better until you give your ears what they want.

Also, when you start listening again, don't go right back to the levels you were listening at before. Start at the lowest volume that sounds pretty good. If it's just impossibly low, increase it slowly. You can get used to listening to lower volumes. You probably already know all of this but it never hurts to be reminded. Anytime you experience discomfort, your body is telling you something.

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 14
Get your hearing checked by a medical doctor. I know that means digging into your funds for hi-fi gear but what is more important in the long run?

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #14 of 14
Stop listening and go to an audiologist? That would like the right thing to do. I mean, if your amplifier is humming in one channel after a few minutes, would you still use it? Would you not send in it for a check-up? Now realize that your ears are the most critical component you'll ever have. So be safe, buddy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back