Ear damage from headphones?
Dec 9, 2005 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kurt_fire

100+ Head-Fier
What are the signs and symptoms that you are causing ear damage when listening to headphones?

I can't think of ever a time my ears have "rang" after a headphone session, and I commonly listen to my MS1s for 2-3 hours at a time. If my ears never "ring" after a session, am I good to go? No harm caused?

I know that it's the high frequencies that can cause the most signifcant damage. Low frequencies (bass) are not nearly strong enough out of headphones to do any harm really at all. I am correct to say that? At what decibal does typical ear damage begin? Isn't it like 105 dB or something like that? I seriously doubt there are many people that listen to their headphones that loud.

Sustained, somewhat high, decibals (let's say 75 dB) won't cause any hearing damage at all. It's the ultra-loud stuff, even in very limited quantities, that can mess with your hearing. I remember reading that from somewhere a while back but don't know if true.

As reference, I don't think I really ever listen to music through my headphones as my local theatre blasts the surround sound.

Dec 9, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 2
Hop over to the lounge. There are at least two active threads, and two from the past week or two, on general hearing loss, and tinnitus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back