ear damage from bass?
Jan 31, 2005 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

a1leyez0nm3

1000+ Head-Fier
i had 2 15" kickers in my car and 2 10" subs in my truck and the bass rattles the SHD@#@#k outa you
k1000smile.gif
.... can that damage your ears or just the treble? sometimes i feel nautious afterwards..
lambda.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 19
i think maybe you can lose some fillings from your teeth from excessive bass notes but ear damge is off the list.

high frequencies at high SPLs however can and WILL damage your hearing,permanantly.

And once you have that damage it only worsens as you age.I KNOW this from experience folks.The sins of my youth are being revisited now.

Jan 31, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 19
I think it's the both. I know it was the big bass combo of my Senn 600s and Headroom Total Airhead that gave me tinnitus. Bass puts out alot of pressure, which affects the ears.

Jan 31, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

I think it's the both. I know it was the big bass combo of my Senn 600s and Headroom Total Airhead that gave me tinnitus. Bass puts out alot of pressure, which affects the ears.

but you are talking headphones dude.A far different beast when the ear/transducer dircet coupling is considered and yes i agree can be dangerous.

but "open air" bass is more tavtile than it is audible so it is my beleif that only the upper registers are harmful.

Of course I am no expert here,I just like to make noises like one
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 19
It is definitely possible to sustain hearing loss in the bass range, as I have a very mild loss (around 1%) in the lowest frequency range that they test for in one ear. Whether it resulted from ear infections or a misspent youth at rock concerts is still under debate. I didn't notice it until I realized one day that I was having trouble orienting the flow of traffic in the street! And that with only the very slightest loss measurable.

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 19
I think it would be a mistake to assume that only high frequencies cause hearing damage.
If the spl is sufficiently high and or the sound is impulsive in nature damage
could result, I would recommend erring on the side of caution.
Though I would seriously doubt many home hi fi systems would be capable
of producing seriously harmful low frequency spls.

Setmenu

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Though I would seriously doubt many home hi fi systems would be capable
of producing seriously harmful low frequency spls.

Don't come to my house man !

I have been known to pi*s off entire neighborhoods since the age of 16 or so
tongue.gif

every once in a while i just MUSt put on something drastic and fast paced and let 'er RIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially if it is a nice day and I banged down a couple of cold brews to get rid of the parched taste in my mouth from working way too hard
icon10.gif

BOOM BOOM BOOM.......
icon10.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
Don't come to my house man !

I have been known to pi*s off entire neighborhoods since the age of 16 or so
tongue.gif

every once in a while i just MUSt put on something drastic and fast paced and let 'er RIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially if it is a nice day and I banged down a couple of cold brews to get rid of the parched taste in my mouth from working way too hard
icon10.gif

BOOM BOOM BOOM.......
icon10.gif

Good low bass is highly addictive.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

One of my favorite chest rumbling experiences is that of a top fuel drag racing car!
Mind you they cover the entire spectrum when comes to ear destroying
frequencies.
Hell, I am just a sound junkie
biggrin.gif

Setmenu

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #9 of 19
sometimes when one of those cars with the super stereo systems drives past with the bass rattling my windows (and I'm 6 stories above the ground), I wonder how the people riding in the car haven't gone completely deaf. I'm sure that they are doing all sorts of damage to their ears, they just keep the music on for hours as they drive around.

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

One of my favorite chest rumbling experiences is that of a top fuel drag racing car!

Nextel Cup my man ! TV sound even with the best of sytems does not even come close to the live event.....rumble...rumble...rumble [size=xx-large]...BWAAAAAAAAHHHHH ! [/size]

icon10.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
sometimes when one of those cars with the super stereo systems drives past with the bass rattling my windows (and I'm 6 stories above the ground), I wonder how the people riding in the car haven't gone completely deaf. I'm sure that they are doing all sorts of damage to their ears, they just keep the music on for hours as they drive around.

I think I mightv'e posted this before...but oh well...

See I was in summer school for geometry (not remedial) and our math teacher was talking about graphs and curves. So then we talk about stereos and their effect on us, etc. Fast forward about 5-10 minutes.

BOOM...

BOOM... BOOOOOM... BOOM...

BOOM...

The whole class was cracking up! We were just talking about the effects of a loud stereo and here comes a fantastic example. We were feeling light vibrations. The car was about 100ft away according to the teacher. Its one of those you had to be there to experience it moments... Yea..
icon10.gif

Big subs man... big subs...

Jan 31, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 19
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84448
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I quote from the other tread
Quote:

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Blasting music can be hard on the ears and the neighbors, and now researchers say it can also pack enough punch to collapse a lung.

Reporting in the medical journal Thorax, they describe the cases of four young men who suffered a lung collapse -- technically called pneumothorax --that appeared to be triggered by loud music. Three of the men were at a concert or club when the pneumothorax occurred, while the fourth was in his car, which was outfitted with a 1,000-watt bass box because he "liked to listen to loud music."

A pneumothorax occurs when a small rupture in one of the lungs allows air to leak into the space between the lungs and the chest wall, causing the lung to collapse. Symptoms include breathlessness and chest pain on the affected side.

Jan 31, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 19
LOL

Just today I was sitting at a red light and the guy next to me, his car had so many subs in it that the body of the car was resonating. It was seriously producing a low rattling hum.
basshead.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Reporting in the medical journal Thorax, they describe the cases of four young men who suffered a lung collapse -- technically called pneumothorax --that appeared to be triggered by loud music. Three of the men were at a concert or club when the pneumothorax occurred, while the fourth was in his car, which was outfitted with a 1,000-watt bass box because he "liked to listen to loud music."

ouch! A spontaneous pneumothorax causes serious pain, and not in the ears!

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
ouch! A spontaneous pneumothorax causes serious pain, and not in the ears!

Yeah, I can vouch for this from experience. Except my lung collapse wasn't spontaneous, it was the result of me falling off of a wakeboard being dragged around behind a speedboat at 40 miles per hour and hitting the water really hard! Broke three ribs and collapsed a lung. Not a fun thing to do, let me tell you.

Note: don't let the guy in the boat try to turn really sharp while you're being dragged on a wakeboard. You'll get flung 20 feet into the air like a catapult.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back