ear couplers/ear pads
Dec 14, 2008 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wayward91

Head-Fier
Hello all,
I am a relative noob here so I apologise if this has been discussed previously. A search for “ear pads” doesn’t come up with anything helpful so;

My akg k271mk2’s came with leatherette ear pads on the headphones already, and a cloth? Pair in the box.

I have an ancient pair of akg k240 df’s and I know how hard the ear pads are to get on and off (from attempting to treat the leather) . so up until now I haven’t tried the cloth pads.

anyway I just swapped them over and my initial impressions are that there is a more spacious and open soundstage. With slightly less bass. Im guessing that this is because the “cloth” pads actually are slightly rounder/more puffy so there is a slightly larger gap for your ears?
Has anybody else had similar experiences with swapping over ear pads impacting on the sound?

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 3
Yes, I did some 'pad rolling' on BeyerDynamic and AKG headphones.
For instance, those vinyl K240/271 pads made the DT770 pro more listenable.
I also tried the velour pads on a K271, but I found them less comfortable, and the sound became strange.
DT770 pads on a K271 and K240 Sextett made the sound worse.
I put AKG K601 earpads on my AKG K-400, with great results.
Sometimes I think earpads makes more difference than the drivers, especially with AKG cans.

Dec 15, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 3
Talk to anyone who has ever worn a set of Grados. Some of the k501 bass increase mods involve making/finding pleather ear pads because they seal better than the velour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back