Ear Canal Challenged, but Need Isolation
Aug 22, 2006 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kiwirugby

Headphoneus Supremus
I have tried to search for something about earbuds that maybe isolate well and are the best for those of us who are ear canal challenged. Any one got any id-ears????? I'm looking for something in the earbud line (I have two KSC75s - no islotaion there -, DJ81 and AKG 271, but want something really small.).

I use a RedWine iModded 60gb iPod photo -> Wyvern AG16 IC -> SuperMacro IV -> headphone. Mostly classcial and jazz. Would like to use them on long plane flights.

Thoughts? But no IEMs please. Maybe there's nothng in the earbud line that isolates.....

Aug 22, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
I have tried to search for something about earbuds that maybe isolate well and are the best for those of us who are ear canal challenged. Any one got any id-ears????? I'm looking for something in the earbud line (I have two KSC75s - no islotaion there -, DJ81 and AKG 271, but want something really small.).

I use a RedWine iModded 60gb iPod photo -> Wyvern AG16 IC -> SuperMacro IV -> headphone. Mostly classcial and jazz. Would like to use them on long plane flights.

Thoughts? But no IEMs please. Maybe there's nothng in the earbud line that isolates.....

Most normal earbuds don't isolate. If IEM is too much for you perhaps you have to consider using semi IEM canal phones. I have tried Creative EP630 (same like Sennheiser CX300) and I find them quite wearable unlike real IEM. Plugging them in and out is easy.

Alternatively, you might want to look for Sony MDR-ED21LP or ED31LP, they are quite unique with those Bass Dome. I am still using my MDR-ED21LP now while waiting for my ATH-ES5. They don't isolate sound like canal phones but somehow the way Sony designed them makes them one quite listenable in slightly noisy environment - the snug fit of the Bass Dome will act like a barrier or sorts and you will hear music faily clear.

My 2 cents

Aug 22, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks, EFN, for taking time to reply. It looks to me like the Senn CX300 get mighty close to being IEMs. Maybe not. They look good. My additional challenge is that I think my right canal is much smaller than my left. How small does the smallest Senn ear insert come, do you think? Like, really small?

Aug 22, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
Thanks, EFN, for taking time to reply. It looks to me like the Senn CX300 get mighty close to being IEMs. Maybe not. They look good. My additional challenge is that I think my right canal is much smaller than my left. How small does the smallest Senn ear insert come, do you think? Like, really small?

Hey no worries. The good news is that these higher grade canal phones typically carries 3 sizes of tips which can be easily interchanged - so you might want to experiment bigger size on one and smaller size on the other.

Bet be warned, Senn CX300 and Creative EP630 is bass heavy for the faint hearted. But might appeal to you if you are a basshead. Me myself I am thinking of ordering Audio Technica ATH-CK7 from www.bluetin.com.

Ah well, you can read more on these cans here: Thanks to Afbug and Zephyron for the massive efforts.

Reviews By Afbug
Review by Zephyron on ATH-CK7

Aug 22, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN
Me myself I am thinking of ordering Audio Technica ATH-CK7 from www.bluetin.com.

you can also order from audiocubes for $69 +shipping

Aug 22, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 10
EFN and dranoel,

You guys are great, especially for short-time posters! Very helfpul information for one and all.

Bass-heavy I can tolerate (I have the DJ81s and am a bass singer so tend to follow the bottom line in music anyway!). Your warning is well headed though. Of course, giving me a couple of options does nothing for my wallet!! But I appreciate the help.

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 10
I can't imagine an earbud that would isolate well -- the physics just aren't there. I don't really like IEMs either - I use Sennheiser HD25-1's. They sound great and isolate really well. And i have almost the identical set-up to you!

Aug 22, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 10
Throw down $30 for the Creative EP-630's and be a happy man. I bet they have enough isolation for you as I use them while flying. They are bass and treble happy - like a v curve on an equalizer. It's a fun sound though and they are worth the little amount of money they cost.

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for posting my review, but I relly need to write a new review comparing the CK7's to most of what I've managed to listen to now.

Granted, the CK7's are still very value for money semi-canals, even up till now, but be warned of fitting =)

If you wear an M size sleeve on a normal semi-canal for example, be ready to up the ante and wear an L sized sleeve on the CK7.

Aug 24, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #10 of 10
Folks who've tried and reviewed the prototypes of the new Swedish IEM's, d-jays, have mentioned that it inserts very much like an earbud, has soft rubber sleeves like a Sony EX71 for ease on the ear canals, AND pretty good isolation (between that of an earbud and a deeper insertion IEM). The Sound Quality reviews of the Head-Fiers who have tried and reviewed them are not too shabby either. Based on all the info to date, and at $80 shipped in the ConUS, I've pre-ordered a pair, and, at this point, the Jays folks seem to think that they'll be available for actual shipment at the end of September. http://www.jays.se if you think you might be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back