Ear bleedling effect
Sep 17, 2008 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jojoarmani

Head-Fier
Does anyone else have this feeling after listening to headphones for too long?
confused_face.gif
I have the volume pretty medium on everything.

It feels dumb to talk about but it could always the onset of damage from too much music!
atsmile.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 15
answering this question is hard because it could always be attributed to personal limits of music and levels of tolerable music for each individual.

The header really fits the description. After normal listening period, appears like a general soreness around the whole ears and slight bleeding sensation, by which point the headphones come off.

Probably Ear fatigue, is all. Just wondering really if anyone gets something similar or are my 2-3 hour listening periods too long?

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 15
maybe those cans are not right for you. even my grados don't have THAT much discomfort.

For fatigue, try to find cans with less treble intensity - smoother cans generally ensure longer listening time per session.

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 15
If the problem is your outer ears hurting, try adjusting your headphones or perhaps looking into different pads for them.
What kind of headphones do you have? If you have headphones that rest on your ears (supraaural), try some circumaurals (they enclose your entire ear inside the headphone). Myself, I find supraaurals to be quite uncomfortable and circumaurals to be pretty comfortable.
If the discomfort seems to be with your hearing, take a break from the headphones for a few days. If the discomfort does not stop, you might need to see a doctor and for future listening, turn the music down

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 15
You actually bleed? Or do you feel as if the pulse of blood through your ears has intensified?

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 15
Sounds like the volume is too high. However there is also the issue of phones, or for that matter speakers, with an uneven frequency response. I remember my first "hifi" asystem used to leave me feeling numb around the earsafter an few hours listening because of its poor high frequencey response and peaky bass. If you re listening with too much bass for example in the phones I would expect some auditory fatigue of this sort.

However if we are talking actual bleeding from the ears you had better see a doctor quick.

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #9 of 15
Bleeding out of your ears is very bad (unless it's just a blackhead).

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bleeding out of your ears is very bad (unless it's just a blackhead).

That is why I hesitate to let many people use my headphones!
At Head-Fi meets, I sure hope they have some kind of anti-bacterial/alcohol swabs or something.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #11 of 15
Sometimes EQing the Music reduces the Harsh perception thereby reducing the Fatigue... something like Soft, Bass Booster (softens the percussions).

although i need to mention i EQ with Cheap Earbuds only...they damage ears at any volume.

they damage brain also..
biggrin.gif
coz they make u feel u r enjoying music when u aint even hearing everything.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quake120 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is why I hesitate to let many people use my headphones!
At Head-Fi meets, I sure hope they have some kind of anti-bacterial/alcohol swabs or something.

I actually never really thought of things like that, or lice, before, but it's a little worrisome. I'll start using lysol on used cans, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back