Eagle Help: Weird Gerber Errors
Jul 2, 2006 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dsavitsk

MOT: ECP Audio
I am stumped. I made a small PCB in Eagle -- It is very small and simple and has about 15 components on it.

When I try to make gerber files (first running excellon.cam and then running gerb274x.cam) the drd file (the drill file) does not match up to the other files. When I open it in GCPreview, all of the gerbers are very small with the drill file very large.

I am only having this problem with this one board -- other boards seem to be working okay. Also, I copied these board files to another computer and had the same problem, and I recreated them from scratch (both the schematic and the pcb) and still had the same problem. Even weirder, it worked yesterday.

So, can anyone offer any suggestions as to what the problem could be? I did modify one library component, but even removing that part has not helped.

The offending files can be found at http://www.ecp.cc/HVPS2.zip

Thoughts?

-d

Jul 2, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 5
You just have to mirror some of the layers in the Gerber CAM processor. I always end up with a "local" copy of the Gerber processor in each project directory, if only to set up things like this. I've attached the one that works for your files.

Jul 2, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 5
That doesn't seem to be it. It isn't a mirror issue, it is that the files are a different size. I am trying to panelize the gerbers onto a larger file, and the panelization software (gerbmerge) is throwing an error, so it really does seem that something got corrupted somewhere.

A little more investigation has shown that my old eagle files can be converted to gerbers just fine (suggesting that the cam processors are fine), but anything new that i create has this problem, which is really weird.

I have attached a screenshot from gcpreview to show what it going on. You can see that everything is little in the bottom left and the drill file shows up as many times larger.

So, as I say i tried copying my files to another computer and it still doesn't work, so if they do work on your computer then that seems extra odd.

Jul 2, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
i tried copying my files to another computer and it still doesn't work, so if they do work on your computer then that seems extra odd.

It works fine here. Have you tried another Gerber viewer, or an updated version of GC Prevue?

Jul 2, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 5
2 different versions of eagle, 2 different versions of gc preview, 2 different computers. Everything new I create fails in this way, but all my old files are fine.

I have attached my excellon.cam, the gerber generator I am trying to process. Could you see if they work for you? Is there anything I could have done to alter some other settings? I have tried every debugging trick I know short of uninstalling and reinstalling, but that seems a bit drastic here.

There is another set of board files at http://ecp.cc/ab.zip they are different in that the silk screen layer is now 122 or something -- it matches the attached gerber processor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back