EAC ripping problem
Jan 18, 2005 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

futangclan

New Head-Fier
i am using eac in alt preset standard mode to rip mp3s and it has been working beautifully, but recently i ran into problems with cds that were only mildly scratched. for some reason, eac is unable to read these cds even though they only have one scratch, even with the highest error correction mode, while it was able to read cds with tons of scratches all over with minimal problems.

has anyone else run into this before? any advice?

thanks in advance.

Jan 18, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 8
I'd agree that it's probably not the software. The scratches in the disc may be deeper than they look or your drive may not have very good read capabilities.

I'd try another drive or two on a different computer to get a feel for which one is the problem.

Jan 18, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 8
There are different plastic polishes that people use. Some people like the Skip Doctor, others say it ruins discs. I've even heard of people using toothpaste to polish out scratches. However, I'd say that if your CD is so scratched that EAC can't do anything with it, it may be beyond repair.

Jan 18, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Another route you might take would be to try a different ripper. I've found that CDex will sometimes copy discs that EAC chokes on. Worth a try.

Hope this helps.

BW

Jan 18, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 8
EAC is choking because it is picky, which is exactly what it is designed to be. You should try different CD-readers to see if it helps and rip and reburn it. If that fails do CD-repair (there has been people who performed tests on EAC to show significant decrease in error-rate after using some of these kits)

Jan 18, 2005 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 8
In my experience, if there's a scratch or other physical flaw that reaches a certain level of seriousness, EAC just won't be able to read beyond that spot on the CD. If track 5 has the flaw, there's no going past that point, even if further tracks are on an intact part of the CD.

Still my favorite ripper, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back