EAC Ripping issues
May 12, 2004 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ismelllikepoop

100+ Head-Fier
I have been trying to burn a copy of ben harper's diamonds on the inside. I found out after multiple burnings of cd's with random pops that it is cd protected. I used EAC and the mp3's and wav's i ripped sound fine with no issues, but if i try to use those wav files to burn onto a new cd, track 5 messes up on some of my cd players. On my discman with antishock, and my friends sony dvd burner it plays back fine, but on an old apex dvd player, and a pioneer dvd player, every copy i made (4), track 5 always has pops, and sometimes track 1 does too. Anyone have similar issues? The stupid thing about it is I wanted to buy the cd at a store, but no one ever has it. I didn't order it since I think it is a pain to order just a cd and wait a week for it. This irks the crap out of me esp since I want a copy that will play on ALL my cd players, not just a random few.

May 12, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 12
First, naughty naughty, go buy the cd...
biggrin.gif

Try making a copy with CloneCD. Sure, it won't have the features of EAC, but it's almost guaranteed to give you a perfect copy with no complaints. After all, why bypass the copy protection when you can just make a perfect replica of it?

(-:Stephonovich:)

May 12, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 12
I am assuming the following things:
1) You have tried burning multiple copies of the CD and they all fail in the same spot.
2) The wav file on the computer doesn't have the pops.

Have you tried burning the CD's at a slower speed? You might be better off having your friend burn the CD for you.

If you want to investigate the problem a little more, try using a tool from nero to verify possible errors with the burned CD. You can get the tool from here:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

May 12, 2004 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 12
Again with clonecd, I got a copy I could play in certain players fine, but with a computer, i got something really weird. It said there were only 6 tracks and media player could not recognize anything to play back. This is weird, every program i use says its a good rip, playing back the files that are copied on the harddrive play back without any problems, it's just when those files are put back on a cd it pops on certain players. One note, there definitely is less data on the burned cd's. When I first tried a burn, I think with just roxio, the cd looked like it had the same amount of data, but that copy had the most problems, which is why i reburned it. Even on my discman which all copies play fine on, that "identical" version skipped the most. I'm concerned that if I get a decent home deck, that my cd's may not playback correctly. Seems weird to me that they are programming in cd glitches in which causes problems with some of my players.

May 12, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 12
If they rip fine, with no pops, it's not a copy protection issue, it's your burner. What burner are you using? And what speed, and media? First try burning slow (4x or lower) with some good media; Fujifilm, Memorex, and TDK aren't bad. If that doesn't work, methinks a new burner is in order.

May 12, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 12
Using my friend's sony dru-something-500 dvd burner. It has worked perfectly for everything, other protected cd's, just not this one. The regular cd is weird because it plays back in the dvd burner using just windows media player. with the pioneer, it starts up some proprietary player, and media player says there is no cd inserted. I just realized that this may be the issue, not the burns, but rather that the cd players (besides the sony for some reason) that have issues are computer based ie the pioneer on my friends comp, and the apex (which uses a computer drive). So basically I probably ripped like 7 perfectly good copies.

May 12, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 12
They have issues at the same spot, but not always with the same magnitude. Would doing a slower burn really make a difference? I've done slow rips, fast rips, secure rips, etc with the same results. The wav's never have any issues. Thanks for your fast replies, i appreciate it

May 12, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 12
ripping it shouldn't be a problem. if 2 ripped wavs have the same crc, the copy should be fine.

the problem should lie with the burning process and the CDr. try using CDr of another brand, i recommend verbatim/mitsubitshi with the Azo dye series. Even with taiyo yudens, i experienced skipping with several burned copy of a non copy-protected CD. it turns out that my cd player has difficulty reading the taiyo yudens due to the lower reflectivity(i think). the problem went away after i changed CDr.

pretty weird but i do not know why my disc skips at more or less specific places too.

May 12, 2004 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 12
That original disc is copy protected by Cactus Data Shield 200.

If you make a copy in CloneCD, you will just copy (actually emulate) the copy protection as well, so it's of no use.

If you want to rip it properly, set rip speed to 1x in your ripping drive.

If that doesn't work, there are cdrw players that will rip that disc properly (LiteOn 52327s, Plextor Premium) if you rip either in Plextools Pro (ignore errors, read speed 4xCAV) or EAC (burst mode, read speed 4xCAV). There are other drives/methods as well, but those I have tested myself thoroughly.

Most of the issues you have with CDS200 protected discs, when you copy them in the wrong way, is getting audible gaps in the copy at the near 9 second mark from the beginning of each track.

That's a sure way to identify CDS200 copy gone wrong.

regards,
halcyon

May 12, 2004 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 12
Great info, halcyon. Forgot to mention, (stupid me) ClonyXXL is an awesome little proggie (once you set the language to English, anyway) that will scan a disc for copy protection, and if found, tell you what type it has, a rough difficulty estimate on copying it, and can even pass required ripping settings to CloneCD and other programs to sucessfully make a backup. Very nice indeed.

May 12, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 12
When you look at the back of the original CD, do you see a ring, like there is a data session on it?
If so, maybe sticking some labels/stickers on the data session might help. Then your CD-ROM will possibly not recognize the data. Or you can use a marker to hide the data session from the CD-ROM.

May 13, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 12
well i just bought the cd. of course the version i bought has no protection on it. The thing about buying cd's is I already have all of cd's, BUT since college and moving out, I have no idea where they could are, so I just have this new one which I like but i like his others more. I just got a plextor 40 speed usb 2.0 burner for my laptop but it has issues with ripping the protected one. Anyone know how to get a copy of plextools? I got used one but there was no software cd. I originally ordered the plextor premium but i decided to cancel my order since 150 is a lot to pay for just a computer burner. Freakin buy.com didn't cancel my order which i placed on saturday and canceled on sunday. They decided to ship it today (wednesday) which bugs the crap out of me especially since I am out of town starting tomorrow. I don't know why they would do that, they make no money doing that since shipping charges were free. The only one making anything from that is the postal service. Again, thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back