EAC Question
Dec 26, 2006 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rob187

New Head-Fier
This is probably a stupid question but I'll ask it anyways.

In EAC, when you select "use external compressor", and use something such as wavpack...what does that do? I'm guessing it just compresses the file after you extract it, and doesn't affect the audio quality at all. Is that right?

Dec 26, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 9
Ok, I'm using Wavpack compression through EAC and have a problem- the song I copy always has some crackles in it. When I rip it and don't compress it the song plays fine.

Also, compressed or not, I can't seem to get any ID tags on the songs.

Dec 27, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 9
What is the command line you are using for the WavPack encoder?

Try using this in the "additional command line options" dialog box:

-h -w "artist=%a" -w "title=%t" -w "album=%g" -w "year=%y" -w "track=%n" -w "genre=%m" %s

Dec 27, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 9
I don't think that's it. I'm using Foobar to play the files. The uncompressed version plays fine. The compressed one has some crackles. It's odd- the crackles are numerous on the first play; after that, they thin out but are still there and remain there after subsequent plays.

Still not able to get files named.

Dec 27, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 9
Did you rip a CD to get the un-compressed files, or were they created some other way?

The reason I ask, the only time I've seen something similar was when I tried to make flac files from wav files that were made using a high sample rate and high bit depth.

Dec 27, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 9
I'm ripping from CD.

I tried using Lame Compression. First off, it gave me the ID tags. Secondly, no more crackles.

I'm comparing the sound quality right now. I find it hard to believe that the 13mb MP3 file sounds the same as the 60mb Wav... but so far they do sound pretty much the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back