EAC question (time)
Sep 3, 2008 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

starscream

100+ Head-Fier
I just got EAC yesterday and configured it manually using the guide to get the most accurate copy of cd to FLAC.

The final action command...test and copy. Becuase of the test phase of this where it reads each track twice before the actual rip, on average this is taking between 90-120mins to rip an entire disc.

Is this the right way to do things, or should I just use the 'copy' action instead of 'test and copy'

Also, how do I know what level of FLAC I am getting from these rips? I don't see a mention of the level anywhere, so how do I check? Do I need another piece of FLAC software installed like frontend to check this? ( I don't have it installed as Vista has some trouble with the installer and I didn't bother doing the workaround as I didn't need it to rip to FLAC on EAC)

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 3
hiya

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by starscream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got EAC yesterday and configured it manually using the guide to get the most accurate copy of cd to FLAC.

The final action command...test and copy. Becuase of the test phase of this where it reads each track twice before the actual rip, on average this is taking between 90-120mins to rip an entire disc.

Is this the right way to do things, or should I just use the 'copy' action instead of 'test and copy'

Test and copy nets you nothing. Unless your drive is a total POS (possible), you should not be taking 45 minutes to rip an album. Even without queued compression jobs, it should be around 10-20 minutes.

Quote:

Also, how do I know what level of FLAC I am getting from these rips? I don't see a mention of the level anywhere, so how do I check? Do I need another piece of FLAC software installed like frontend to check this? ( I don't have it installed as Vista has some trouble with the installer and I didn't bother doing the workaround as I didn't need it to rip to FLAC on EAC)

You give FLAC a switch for the level. Like FLAC -8 for level 8.

Here's a nice looking guide:
A Perfectionist's Guide to Audio CD Extraction and Lossless Compression

Users who are viewing this thread

Back