EAC problems - skipping music
Sep 12, 2008 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Narcosynthesis

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a new Sony A829, so have been working on the task of ripping all my music from cd's.

As recommended by some of you helpful lot here, I have been using EAC to rip from cd to flac, then converting the flac files to mp3 using foobar (and the lame codec)

The problem is, that despite being told by EAC I have a good rip, I am getting a lot of skips and errors in the music, which are coming up continually and appearing in the majority of the albums I have recorded.
Does anyone know why this is occurring, and if there are any solutions? I know there is the 'accuraterip' function in EAC, which to my knowledge is turned on (I get the logo flashing up when I insert a disc, and the message after ripping telling me of any errors and where they occur)

At the moment I either have to spend the time noting down every song I find an error in (a significant percentage of the 1800 I have recorded so far) and rerecording those tracks individually and personally checking the output, or find some solution to let me just start from scratch again (very annoying, but I can't see any other way...)

Does anyone have any ideas? Something obvious I have missed or somethign more problematic?

Cheers for any help or opinions.

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 11
In what condition are your CD's?

I remember trying to rip some of my friends CD's that weren't in the greatest condition, and EAC wouldn't be able to rip them properly.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Narcosynthesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know - I haven't been able to specifically find anything in the menu's relating to it, any hints on where I should look to double check?

Under EAC > Drive Options > Extraction Method > choose Secure Mode.

You probably want to check out a guide on how to set up EAC : Exact Audio Copy Guide . EAC needs to be set up right with regards to optical drive before it can deliver a good rip.

Secure Mode gives you the safest bet on ripping a CD properly without errors though it can be slow. If it is extremely slow then your CD probably does have errors / scratches etc.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 11
Checking the setup guide, secure mode seems to be active, and going through that the only differences are the less important ones (though the version used in the guide seems to be a slightly different one from what I have - there are a few odd options missing)

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 11
It is probably a different version of EAC than what you have, but the options have not changed that much. It is more likely that you have not enabled expert mode.

Go to EAC > EAC Options > Tools, make sure the last option is unchecked, i.e. make sure you have NOT activated the beginner mode and disabled advanced features.

Sep 15, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 11
Also try to disable the drive cache if possible.

Sep 15, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by E.B.M.Head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also try to disable the drive cache if possible.

Yes, that's quite vital. But beware that you disable drive cache but CHECKING the box that says drive caches audio data! A mouse over the option explains it in more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back