eac locking
Jan 11, 2006 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
eac locks on me pretty often on my very scratched cd's. using secure mode with rather standard features (myden's guide, hydrogen audio, and a few tweaks). i'll go out for awhile while a cd is ripping and come back and it has only ripped one track and it's "not responding". have to close it, restart windows to rip another cd, pain in ass.

so.........my super scratched cd's i'll wash and try again but i'm curious if other folks get "not responding" often or ever? i have a lite-on dvd/cdrw drive

Jan 11, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 7
I used to have that exact same problem. In fact, when it did lock up and stop responding, I would have to reboot via the reset button to even get the CD out. I was using my Lite-On DVD drive for ripping. Since I switched to using my Asus CD burner, it has never happened once. It has even made it through some badly scratched CD's with sync errors, even though it took awhile, and did not crash. EAC is a great program, but IMO does not play nicely with some drives.

Jan 11, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 7
Set it skip a bad track after it does all its error scans.

Jan 12, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #5 of 7
i've had this happen to me (complete lockup of winxp because the burner just wouldn't give up, give in or let loose of the disc) with secondhand cds that looked like somebody repeatedly tried to play them on a turntable. i've come to the conclusion that
1. eac's secure mode's purpose is to get an error-free copy.
2. this is simply not possible with badly scratched cds.
i therefore use burst mode if i try to rip such cds at all. the errors are there, you just can't get a pristine copy of a really badly damaged original.

Jan 12, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #6 of 7
EAC totally locking up?! Never happened to me. (Not that I could remember, anyway.) But then I'm using the Adaptec ASPI with the old "ExcludeMiniports" trick. The reading drive may also play a role here, hard to tell what would happen when the firmware locks up upon trying to read a difficult spot on the CD.

Jan 12, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 7
I have had it happen a few times. I have found that if you get to the problem quickly enough all you have to do is just skip the track and everything should resume normally. You can always go back later and try to rerip it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back