EAC + LAME = problems... :(
Mar 25, 2004 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KandieMan

Head-Fier
I am trying to rip a CD I have... and when I open my mp3's in Winamp I get a changing bitrate with things like 160, 192, 244, etc...

I am trying to do 192kbs
settnigs:
user defined encoder
file extension mp3
C:\Program Files\LAME\lame.exe
additiona cmd line options: %l--alt-preset 192%l%h--alt-preset standard%h %s %d
bit rate: 192kbs
delete wav after compression
high quality selected

PLEASE HELP! I have no idea why it makes it a constantly changing bit rate for the file... which is seemingly not a good thing, but either way not something I want

Mar 25, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 5
"--alt-preset standard" is a VBR scheme. That is why you're getting variable bit rates. To go CBR remove the command lines...

... BUT ...

I (and most) would use -aps over 192 any day.

Mar 25, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 5
It's up to you, but if you upgrade phones, etc. you may have to rerip your stuff. -APS get you much closer to transparency.

Besides the resulting size will be nearly the same (sometimes slightly larger than 192, sometimes slightly smaller). On this example I did a while back -aps came out smaller than 192 (use AAC 192 for comparisons, it should be the same as CBR is CBR) on some pretty complex music (Radioheads HTTT).

And you can always use "--alt-preset fast standard" to speed things up if you want.

BTW, if anything is in the command-line, the other encoding selections (bitrate, etc.) are overridden.

Mar 25, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 5
If you want to make simple CBR or VBR mp3 files and don't need all the extra command lines, I would recommend a simple front end loaded for Lame called RazorLame. It's easy to use and makes pretty decent sounding mp3 files, but might not satisify audio purists.

RazorLame 1.1.5

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back