EAC Foobar ASIO4ALL WASAPI Settings Pictorial
Mar 29, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #166 of 251
Quote:

Originally Posted by holdendebeans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Follow Up

Per my earlier post I am using: Vista 64 bit / Conexant / Foobar2000 with WASAPI / s/pdif optical out to DAC1 / headphones. I am struggling to get bit-perfect playback.

I think I've discovered the problem. In Foobar2000 under Preferences/Components/Playback/Output - in the Output Devises: dropdown menu I have the following options

Null Output
DS: Primary Sound Driver
DS: SPDIF Interface (Conexant High Definition Audio)
DS: Speakers (Conexant High Definition Audio)
WASAPI: SPDIF Interface (Conexant High Definition Audio)
WASAPI: Speakers (Conexant High Definition Audio)

Using option 5 I get errors (that's the previous problem).

Using option 3 I can play 24/96 FLAC files that sound great. Bit-perfect I believe.

Hope others can learn from my ignorance.

Three should be fine is your card supports bit-perfect (Which it probably doesnt). Im supprised that Five doesnt work.

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #167 of 251
Quote:

Originally Posted by denydog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my ASIO setup working tonight. It took a bit of trial & error, but it was like I thought, just a matter of getting the USB Audio codec to show up in the right places and enabled.

Here's the ASIO4all/Foobar settings currently.

Attachment 15317

Attachment 15318

I downloaded the free 24/96 music sampler from HDTracks, and will give it a listen using the Foobar re-sampler since the Grace's USB input only handles 16/44-48.

I'll probably end up eventualy getting the Bel Canto USB Link 24/96 to be able to play hi-res files using the Grace's S/PDIF input (24/192).

Try removing the last too check marks on the ASIO4ALL panel.

newpicture14if2.png

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #169 of 251
Quote:

Originally Posted by invisiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you so much! I had gotten all the ASIO/Lossless "essentials" and was having trouble setting everything up. Your write-up was a major help.

Your welcome, glad to help.

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #170 of 251
Recommendation for a bit-perfect PCI-e sound card or motherboard?
I'm at a crossroads...

Been using the following setup with spectacular bit-perfect sound for years:
Asus K8N board w/ Athlon 64 3400
Maddog Entertainer PCI sound card (Envy24HT-S)
Win XP Pro
EAC for ripping to FLAC
Foobar 2000 playback with Kernel Streaming Plug-in

But now I need to move on - to a more powerful PC to play Blu-ray
and most new mainboards have a limited number of PCI slots (I need 2 PCI slots for the MyHD HD card, and 1 for my wireless networking card)
so I'd like to get by without the PCI sound card if possible...
or use an inexpensive PCI-e card.
Still play on keeping XP (compatability with MyHD HD tuner)

Motherboard?
My ideal mainboard would have the latest Radeon (3200,3300) or Nvidia (8300) integrated graphics, preferably the former
- But ANY board that has a reliable bit-perfect sound chip may be worth it - I can probably get a dedicated video card for a reasonable price.

Soundcard?
Alternatively, a PCI-e sound card that it is bit-perfect would do the trick, but I really would have a hard time justifying spending more than about $40 on a sound card that merely *doesn't* get in the way. (The cheap Maddog was perfect for this).

Thanks for suggestions

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #172 of 251
I'm feeling pretty confident that I've got the ASIO working perfectly now. All the DSP features on my sound card are now off. I can't get DTS files to play (regardless of whether it's files on the HDD or a cd in the disc drive), which makes me think that I may just have the wrong DTS plugin for my version of foobar, but a few other key things make me think I've got it set right. 1st, my buffer is set really low, and I do get skips whenever I do pretty much anything, even maximizing or minimizing a window. I'll have to set it a little higher, but for now at least it's a sign that it's working correctly. Also, if I play an mp3 in foobar that is less than 44.1, foobar will give me an error saying that ASIO does not support that bitrate (I wonder if the "always resample 44.1k>48k checkbox might fix that). Not the result I was looking for when I wanted to play the file, but again, a sign that ASIO4all is doing it's thing. So I'm thinking now I'll probably install a different music player to play those files through the windows kernel mixer. I don't want to go back to winamp because of the resource hog factor (also it always seems to mess up my file associations even if I don't install the agent), so I'm gonna look for another player. I'll search around and see what's out there. Thanks again.

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #173 of 251
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just use a main board with built in Optical, its simple and works well. I wouldnt waste money on a sound card unless your really into gaming.

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought the ECS A780-GM mainboard. It has the Radeon 3200 IGP and HDMI and it has 3 PCI slots - the most of any of the recent boards...so I may be able to fit my old Maddog sound card in there...

but, you seem to be suggesting that I can somehow coax the optical output of an onboard soundcard into passing bit-perfect. Was I able to do this all along on my Asus K8N?
Forgive me if I'm missing some very basic configuration option for bit perfect...and send me to some specific pages in this thread or a page range to do some reading!

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #174 of 251
Quote:

Originally Posted by djordan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I pulled the trigger and bought the ECS A780-GM mainboard. It has the Radeon 3200 IGP and HDMI and it has 3 PCI slots - the most of any of the recent boards...so I may be able to fit my old Maddog sound card in there...

but, you seem to be suggesting that I can somehow coax the optical output of an onboard soundcard into passing bit-perfect. Was I able to do this all along on my Asus K8N?
Forgive me if I'm missing some very basic configuration option for bit perfect...and send me to some specific pages in this thread or a page range to do some reading!

See the link in my signature.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #175 of 251
Quote:

Originally Posted by djordan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But now I need to move on - to a more powerful PC to play Blu-ray

So did I, well fortunately I've a newish PC : Quad-core w/4GBs RAM, but still needed an uberer graphicscard[Radeon HD4670] and a beefier PSU wouldn't go amiss.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #176 of 251
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See the link in my signature.

My initial take-away is that with ASIO or ASIO4ALL I might be able to get Bit-perfect 44.1 to pass through my onboard....(Windows XP)

Now I've got a really FUN project today and after the workday...
Will de-select/disable/uninstall the Maddog and see if I can get this working with the Realtek ALC-850 on my (soon-to-be-gone) Asus K8N.
Willl report back.

Thanks!

Apr 4, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #177 of 251
Methinks that the Realtek chip (ALC-850) or the (AC97) codec is not compatible with bit-perfect.
I was able to bring up the Asio4all panel in Winamp (but not Foobar) by installing the Asio as a plugin to Winamp...but I didn't even see an option for 44.1khz - and my DTS track file was just noise going through my AV receiver.

So far, it remains to be see whether the soundchip on my newly arrived mainboard that I haven't installed yet will be able to do the bitperfect.
(IDT 92HD206 chip on the ECS a780GM-A motherboard)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back