EAC: extract/encode in 1 or 2 steps?
Sep 3, 2007 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

big_lou

Head-Fier
Is it better to extract to WAV and encode to Lame MP3 in 1 step (Shift-F6)? This seems to place the WAV and MP3 files in the same folder.

Or is it better to extract only to one folder (e.g. ../artist_1/album_1/WAV) and later encode to a separate subfolder (e.g. .../artist_1/album_1/MP3).

Currently using Media Monkey to transfer to DAP so this seems to be able to display the MP3's only even if I extract/encode in 1 step but I don't know if I use a different application if I will need to have the MP3's in a separate folder (??).

Also, is there an advantage to having the WAV's in their own folder if/when I need to burn a CD?

TIA for any feedback

Sep 3, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #2 of 6
shouldnt matter if they are all mingled, as they will get filtered by an application when required by their extensions. eg .wav .mp3 etc

and no advantage to having in own folder for purpose of burning.

its just a personal preference. for example.

i have eac output a cd to --> CD FLACS (folder) and CD WAVS (folder)
and respectively the flacs go into CD FLACS, and WAVS into CD WAVS.

just makes it a bit easier to manage but shouldnt be mission critical

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 6
I do something similar to Quaddy's method. I use EAC to rip and convert to FLAC in one step and stored in \My FLAC Music\Artist\Album\. I then delete the WAVs to save on disk space. As a second step, I use dbpoweramp to convert the FLACs to Vorbis Q6 and stored in \My Music\Artist\Album\. I keep the lossy tracks in a separate folder tree to simply transfers to my vibez.

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I then delete the WAVs to save on disk space.

You know that you can set up EAC to do that for you?

Sep 3, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know that you can set up EAC to do that for you?

Yes, I do. The anal side of me likes to know for sure that the conversion to flac completed successfully before tossing the originals.

Thx.

Sep 4, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I do. The anal side of me likes to know for sure that the conversion to flac completed successfully before tossing the originals.

Thx.

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back