E9+E7 combo. X-Fi sound card ignored?
Jan 12, 2012 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

HwangMiHee

Head-Fier
Hi guys

My pc has an X-Fi fatality sound card. I was just wondering if I bought this combo of e9 + e7. Would I still utilize my soundcard even when connected via usb? (does the sound card do anything if I got e7 e9?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 18, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 7
No. The E7 will act as the DAC and get the digital signal directly through USB. I don't know about your specific card, but some X-Fi cards have a digital out that you can use to transfer the effects of CMSS-3D, but you'll need an external DAC with a different (presumably optical) digital input. Alternatively if the card has a line out (it probably doesn't) you can hook that up to an amp like the E9, or even use the headphone jack to E9 (but that would be double amping and you'd lose out on all the benefits of an external amp besides volume).

Jan 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 7
No. The E7 will act as the DAC and get the digital signal directly through USB. I don't know about your specific card, but some X-Fi cards have a digital out that you can use to transfer the effects of CMSS-3D, but you'll need an external DAC with a different (presumably optical) digital input. Alternatively if the card has a line out (it probably doesn't) you can hook that up to an amp like the E9, or even use the headphone jack to E9 (but that would be double amping and you'd lose out on all the benefits of an external amp besides volume).

My sound card does have digital out. And it also has 3.5mm out. You know green red and other colors for surround I think. What do you think I should do? Just plug the E9(w/docked E7) to the PC with USB?

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 7
I have essentially the same setup.  E7+E9 and an X-Fi Titanium sound card.  

Short answer is this - if you are using the E7+E9 via USB port, you are using your E7 as the sound card for your computer and completely bypassing the X-Fi.  You will get no benefits of the CMSS-3D or EAX.

You can leave the E7 docked, unplug the USB and run a 3.5mm cable to the line-in port on the E9 from the X-Fi.  This will use the X-Fi to process your sound and the E9 as your amp, but this completely bypasses the E7 as a DAC.

It sucks, I know, but that's how it is.   Personally I enjoy music much more using the E7+E9, but miss the immersive gaming features of the X-Fi, so I just unplug the USB cable and the computer defaults back to the X-Fi.

In a month or so I'm going to get a FiiO E17 and try to use that docked with the E9 and run an S/PDIF cable from the X-Fi to the E17.  According to others on these forums, if I set the X-Fi to send the stereo mix over S/PDIF I'll be able to get the benefits of the X-Fi DSP and use the E17's superior DAC to get the best of both worlds.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 7
I have essentially the same setup.  E7+E9 and an X-Fi Titanium sound card.  

Short answer is this - if you are using the E7+E9 via USB port, you are using your E7 as the sound card for your computer and completely bypassing the X-Fi.  You will get no benefits of the CMSS-3D or EAX.

You can leave the E7 docked, unplug the USB and run a 3.5mm cable to the line-in port on the E9 from the X-Fi.  This will use the X-Fi to process your sound and the E9 as your amp, but this completely bypasses the E7 as a DAC.

It sucks, I know, but that's how it is.   Personally I enjoy music much more using the E7+E9, but miss the immersive gaming features of the X-Fi, so I just unplug the USB cable and the computer defaults back to the X-Fi.

In a month or so I'm going to get a FiiO E17 and try to use that docked with the E9 and run an S/PDIF cable from the X-Fi to the E17.  According to others on these forums, if I set the X-Fi to send the stereo mix over S/PDIF I'll be able to get the benefits of the X-Fi DSP and use the E17's superior DAC to get the best of both worlds.

Thank you so much!
I know what you mean. But I think it is ok, really! I prefer sound quality over 3D stuff anyways! I will purchase a 3-pack combo: E7+E9+dock for IPhone-->E7. I can't wait to try this out! I will probably give my soundcard to my brother. Because I play competitive level DotA with him. And I would love to give him a present! :)

Btw: I got HD555 now. But my girlfriend has bought an ATH M50 for me from Korea. So in 1.5 weeks I will have my new closed headphones added to my open HD555. (Dorm setup)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back