E888 problem.
Feb 11, 2003 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

karn1911

New Head-Fier
Heya,
I own a pair of E888's and the right bud flutters on bassy tracks, I opened it up and there are a few creases in the diaphragm and I am pretty sure this is the problem. I've tried blowing it from behind and flattening out some of the creases through the little holes but alas, they do budge by air and the flattened creases reappear again after a little bit. Is this pair of earphones dead or is there a way to fix them?

Feb 11, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #2 of 7
it is a pretty normal problem on the e888, mentioned in a lot of threads here and at the tstation.
the first pair i bought (120 USD in norway) had a terrible rattle on the bass notes in both channels. i tried breaking them in very gently for almost a week, but it did not change. i also gave them the "blowjob" which helped for a while, but ruined the definition. finally i sent them to sony who gave me new pair that worked perfectly.

the creases is supposed to be there i think.

Feb 12, 2003 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 7
No way I know of at least.

On way would to buy a new pair and then the next day taking the old pair back complaining that they dont work properly. then you will have two good pairs and can sell one of them.

Feb 12, 2003 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 7
Have the same problem with some used 464's. You can also try to play bassy music through them louder than listening levels and see if that straightens them out a bit.

Feb 13, 2003 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Have the same problem with some used 464's. You can also try to play bassy music through them louder than listening levels and see if that straightens them out a bit.

This is not a good idea for sure. The rattling noise actually come from playing a bassy music too loud. E888 is very fragile and need properly time to burn in in order to handle a heavy bass volume. I have been through 4 or 5 E888s in 5 years, and they need time to gain strenght and sound quality. You also need a great source (Sharp MD) for them to sound at their best.

Purk

Feb 20, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #7 of 7
Hey guys, I just got a pair of these for my Sony MZ-R900, and I found they were quite good, apart from the aforementioned bass flutter problem on both channels. I was just wondering what the return procedure for Sony is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back