e7/e9 upgrade, any suggestions?
Dec 7, 2011 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

saintyoo

100+ Head-Fier
I started this journey with a m50 and an e7 but after getting a taste for the head-fi world, I purchased the AKG 701 and an e9 soon after. At this point the AKG's were fairly new and the treble was harsh. My friend happened to have a vintage kenwood 6004 which had a very warm sound signature so I bought it off him for about 50 bucks. Now its sitting in my basement back at home because its too big to take to college :frowning2: .

Between the m50's and the AKG's I had the highs and lows covered so I was thirsting for mids. About 3 months I purchased the hd598's and I was happy. However between the three headphones, the m50's were barely being used. I was also pretty interested trying orthos. So I gave the m50's to a friend and I had him order me the Fostex T50rp.

I got it this week. After some messing around with its insides, I was impressed. It isn't ideal, I just loaded with blu tak and stuffed it with loose cotton but man, for a 100 dollars... its well worth its money. The mids are so nice and it also has enough bass to fill the emptiness that I felt when I sold the m50's. Buuut between the AKG701's and fostex T50rp, now the Sennheiser 598 is not being used so much. But the upgrade bug still has its hold over me. So I'm now looking to sell the 598's the fiiO e7/9 for about 350$USD (maybe a little less) and buy me a better amp & DAC (or AMP/DAC).

Ouch, my wallet

Anyway I was thinking you guys might be interested in my audiophile journey.

Now to the point, I was wondering what AMP and DAC combo will best suit the 701's and T50rp's. Budget will probably be around 350-400$USD (definitely not breaking 500$).

I like how the 701's sound on the e7/e9 but could always use a little more warmth. I'm still getting used to the T50rp and will further mod in the very near future.

I was looking at the
Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 DAC and the
Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier
Maybe tube upgrades (or D2) depending on the financial status.

Any feedback on these or any other suggestions?

Edit: I actually started with the beats solo hd but sent them back a week later and got the m50's. I also got the sony xb700 right before I got the HD598's but I didn't like them and returned them too.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 13
For my Q701 I'm going with an HRT MS II DAC and a Matrix M-stage amp.  Both are supposedly ever so slightly on the warm side of neutral.  I'm mainly getting the HRT MS II for it's soundstage.

From what I've read the E7 + E9 Combo can be on the harsh side.  The E10 should be smoother and warmer than the E7. 

I have no idea about the T50rp, i've never heard it/don't know what it sounds like.

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 13
The T50rp's rival my AKGs in that the volume knob on my e9 is basically in the same position for listening levels (my hd598's are set to about half to a third of the volume settings). But I'm completely new to orthos so not sure what kind of amplification suites them. I'm also curious to see how the warmth of tubes will compliment these two headphones.

I'll definitely look up your suggestions when I have some free time.

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 13

Audio GD NFB-5 - Dual Wolfson WM8741 DAC and Amp ~ $330USD ex China

Can be ordered with your taste and choice in either ~ neutral, warm or dynamic Op Amp.

[size=x-small]OPA-EARTH Modules[/size]
[size=x-small]USD22.5[/size]
[size=x-small]Sounds fairly neutral.[/size]
[size=x-small][/size]

[size=x-small]OPA-MOON Modules[/size]
[size=x-small]USD25[/size]
[size=x-small]Sounds a bit tube-like, that is, a little soft, warm and musical.[/size]
[size=x-small]OPA-SUN Modules[/size]
[size=x-small]USD30[/size]
[size=x-small]Sound a bit dynamic.[/size]
[size=small] [/size]

Dec 8, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 13
I was just looking at  their site and was wondering what the difference between the nfb 5 and nfb 12 was

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
I was just looking at  their site and was wondering what the difference between the nfb 5 and nfb 12 was

Different power supply between the NFB 5 and NFB 12 ( ~ apologies, I have only heard the NFB-5 and information
 on these is a little scarce in Oz.

NFB-5 has DIR module exchange support which I don't believe is available on the NFB-12.

Very similar products though based on the same WM8741 DAC's and amp section.

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
I started this journey with a m50 and an e7 but after getting a taste for the head-fi world, I purchased the AKG 701 and an e9 soon after. At this point the AKG's were fairly new and the treble was harsh. My friend happened to have a vintage kenwood 6004 which had a very warm sound signature so I bought it off him for about 50 bucks. Now its sitting in my basement back at home because its too big to take to college :frowning2: .

Between the m50's and the AKG's I had the highs and lows covered so I was thirsting for mids. About 3 months I purchased the hd598's and I was happy. However between the three headphones, the m50's were barely being used. I was also pretty interested trying orthos. So I gave the m50's to a friend and I had him order me the Fostex T50rp.

I got it this week. After some messing around with its insides, I was impressed. It isn't ideal, I just loaded with blu tak and stuffed it with loose cotton but man, for a 100 dollars... its well worth its money. The mids are so nice and it also has enough bass to fill the emptiness that I felt when I sold the m50's. Buuut between the AKG701's and fostex T50rp, now the Sennheiser 598 is not being used so much. But the upgrade bug still has its hold over me. So I'm now looking to sell the 598's the fiiO e7/9 for about 350$USD (maybe a little less) and buy me a better amp & DAC (or AMP/DAC).

Ouch, my wallet

Anyway I was thinking you guys might be interested in my audiophile journey.

Now to the point, I was wondering what AMP and DAC combo will best suit the 701's and T50rp's. Budget will probably be around 350-400$USD (definitely not breaking 500$).

I like how the 701's sound on the e7/e9 but could always use a little more warmth. I'm still getting used to the T50rp and will further mod in the very near future.

I was looking at the
Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 DAC and the
Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 Hybrid Integrated Amplifier
Maybe tube upgrades (or D2) depending on the financial status.

Any feedback on these or any other suggestions?

Edit: I actually started with the beats solo hd but sent them back a week later and got the m50's. I also got the sony xb700 right before I got the HD598's but I didn't like them and returned them too.

Wait for the ODA/ODAC

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 13
I suppose that this should be moved to the amp section if an admid or mod can oblige

Anyways you guys have sold me on the NFB-5 butI'm a completely new to the technical side of amps and DACs so some of this info from my research is a little overwhelming.

I'm pretty interested in the Moon OPA which will compliment the AKG's very well from my impressions. Does the Amp have a bypass so that I can just press a button and it will stop using the Moon OPA? ALSO I don't see the Moon doing so well with the T50rp's which is more suited for a solid state sound rather than a tube like sound. Should I also invest in the Earth OPA? ( I've been readign that the Sun has the best initial impressions but overall the other two are "better").

Do the OPAs' come installed or do I have to install them and most likely end up ruining  a 330$ amp in all my noobness (I seriously had doubts weather I should or should not even open up the T50rp's).

What are the DIR mods and what do they do?

And finally what do the filter's do / is there a noticeable difference between them?

Dec 8, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #11 of 13
I've been looking at the NFB-5. I think when purchasing you should enquire about import tax to the USA with Audio-gd, then again I'm talking based in the UK. At $399.2 with delivery, if declared that amount and shipped to the UK it would be taxed at 20% giving $440 as the actual amount.

I'll suggest some alternatives, the new Matrix M-stage with DAC option and the yulong D100. Always good to have a bigger selection to choose from.

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
I suppose that this should be moved to the amp section if an admid or mod can oblige

Anyways you guys have sold me on the NFB-5 butI'm a completely new to the technical side of amps and DACs so some of this info from my research is a little overwhelming.

I'm pretty interested in the Moon OPA which will compliment the AKG's very well from my impressions. Does the Amp have a bypass so that I can just press a button and it will stop using the Moon OPA? ALSO I don't see the Moon doing so well with the T50rp's which is more suited for a solid state sound rather than a tube like sound. Should I also invest in the Earth OPA? ( I've been readign that the Sun has the best initial impressions but overall the other two are "better").

Do the OPAs' come installed or do I have to install them and most likely end up ruining  a 330$ amp in all my noobness (I seriously had doubts weather I should or should not even open up the T50rp's).

What are the DIR mods and what do they do?

And finally what do the filter's do / is there a noticeable difference between them?

In regards to the NFB-5 ~ no the OPA's just come separately in the box and must be installed by the purchaser,

Audio GD are very careful to note that 'you must take care' which is a nice disclaimer to protect themselves against ham fisted
 electronic tinkerers 
smile.gif

It just involves being careful, no more than building a PC or swapping out a card with a screwdriver, taking the necessary static
 precautions and what not.

The filters are very subtle ~ you'll find this to be quite true for most DAC's of any origin eg, Cambridge Audio, Rega etc

It's something you'll notice after an extensive ownership period of time. Nice to have though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back