E7 and Ipod Touch First Gen Problems
May 9, 2011 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bigbuddha

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I just recieved my E7 last night.  It came in that new Ipod looking packaging, very nice and slick for such a low price awesome stuff Fiio.

Anyways, I charged the E7 fully and plugged it into my IPOD Touch which is first gen.  I also bought a Fiio L3 LOD as well.

The thing is the sound is HORRIBLE!!! Bass becomes heavily distorted as well as vocals.

I then tried to plug it via the headphone out of the ipod using the E7's supplied cord, same thing.

I tried a couple of IEMs ... my SM3 ... RE0 and Senn CX95 ... all sounded bad really bad.

I thought maybe I got a dud E7 or maybe the LOD was bad (I discounted a bad LOD as the E7 headphone out cord sounded the just as bad)

I thought I'd better plug the E7 into the comp to use it as a DAC and AMP to see if the sound was any good.

Under computer use the E7 performed great, sounded brilliant through the above mentioned IEMs.

So do you think its the IPOD that is now biting the dust (its pretty old now).  I also noticed that if I just plug in the IEMs directly into the IPOD there is now a very noticable hissing noise which leads me to think that my IPOD is dieing a slow death.

Any thoughts?

May 9, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 12
Well, if I had access to my E7 and my old 1st gen iPod I'd be able to give you more info, but I had noticed that the headphone output in my 1st gen iPod Touch was slowly biting the dust over time.  Could just be the iPod, or a defective E7 - do you know anybody who has a working iPod you could try it with?

May 10, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #5 of 12
May 10, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 12
I've had the e7 for just over a month now, and i use it with a 2nd gen ipod, and the only thing i've noticed is that where i was listenning to the volume at 20 on the fiio display , i am now having to increase it to 28 or more now  for the same experiance                          

May 10, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Well, the LOD doesn't have any volume control on an iPod.

read my post again.

often distortion happens because ipod volume is too low, then the user tries to compensate by maxing out the amp volume-thus producing hiss.

so:try turning up the ipod volume to 85%-90% first, then plug in the LOD/E7 and adjust the E7volume.

May 10, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
read my post again.

often distortion happens because ipod volume is too low, then the user tries to compensate by maxing out the amp volume-thus producing hiss.

so:try turning up the ipod volume to 85%-90% first, then plug in the LOD/E7 and adjust the E7volume.

He said it happens when he uses the LOD too.  You cannot adjust the volume with the iPod when you're using the line-out, since the line-out volume is always constant.  Changing the volume before you plug it in won't change that.

But yeah, I'd recommend that the OP tries it out with a different source.  For example, try plugging the interconnect into your computer (the headphone port, or line-out if there is one).  Seeing as how it works as DAC, I'm inclined to believe the problem here is the iPod.  It could just be that the E7 is amplifying whatever problems the iPod had to begin with.

May 10, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks to all who made suggestions.  Much appreciated.

I grabbed my wifes IPOD (also first gen) and basically the E7 played beautifully with it through the LOD.

So now I know my IPOD is dying so i'll replace it with the new gen Ipod Touch.

The E7 is a great bit of kit ... well packaged ... looks slick ... sounds great too

cheers all

May 10, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 12
beerchug.gif

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back