E5s Are Getting Their A$$ Kicked
Jun 25, 2004 at 12:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vranswer

1000+ Head-Fier
I know I'm gonna get flamed hard for this, but it's IMHO. Just received a set of E3s from Paul at Idealsound. Have purchased in order - E5s, Ety 4s, Xin SuperDual, E3s. With the SuperDual the E3s sound SWEET. The Etys are MASTERFUL. And (here comes the flames) the E5s sound...virtually the same. The addition of the SD has allowed the E3s surpass the E5s to my non-audiophile ears, so much so that if I were asked to recommend an E3 to E5 upgrade I would suggest rather to keep the E3s and simply buy the SuperDual (dons fire-retardant gear)!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 25, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing
I am just curious. What was your setup for the test? When you said the e5 sounded the same, where you referring to the ety's or the e3's?

They sound the same as themselves without the amp. Their sensitivity is awesome, and they don't need an amp to reach their full potential. I guess my problem is I like the sound signature of the E3s better when the SuperDual amp has had a chance to boost and augment it.

Jun 26, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #4 of 8
I noticed that the E3's had power issues when I first got them.

When connected to a computer and equalized they sound great. But when connected to a portable MP3 player the sound is missing something. They are missing the lower end of the sound spectrum. Some people like this because less bass means crisper highs. But most people agree that a top quality headphone should be able to produce the full sound spectrum.

The E3 + Xin Superdual = the price of an E5. But I am wondering if this may be an option for those of us that already have the E3's.

Can the Xin Superdual amp assist the E3's in producing that missing deep bass ?

Jun 27, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by baies
I noticed that the E3's had power issues when I first got them.

When connected to a computer and equalized they sound great. But when connected to a portable MP3 player the sound is missing something. They are missing the lower end of the sound spectrum. Some people like this because less bass means crisper highs. But most people agree that a top quality headphone should be able to produce the full sound spectrum.

The E3 + Xin Superdual = the price of an E5. But I am wondering if this may be an option for those of us that already have the E3's.

Can the Xin Superdual amp assist the E3's in producing that missing deep bass ?

Yes it does, that's exactly what I'm saying! BUT - after returning from a weekend of rotating canalphone usage on a long motorcycle trip (first ER4Ps, then E5s, then E3s - all with the SuperDual), I may have to eat a little crow. The E5s fool you somewhat. When first plugged in they don't jump out at you with the "wow" of the Etys, or even as I now know, the "cool" of the E3s. But they are superb...when the source gets loud the E5s swallow up and distribute beautifully, like a twelve cylinder Ferrari with the pedal to the floor. Unfortunately for newbs like me, Ferraris can be difficult to fathom at slow speeds - thus the immediate apparent advantage I gave to the E3s. The clincher was inserting the E3s after listening all afternoon to the E5s. The E3s just couldn't hang! Loud passages sounded blaring. When the music wasn't very demanding the E3s had a fine sound - very apparent and more in-your-face-noticeable than the E5s (like flooring the gas pedal of a Ford Mustang?)...but when elegance on demand was required the E5s romped all over the E3s. Sorry, can I change the title of this thread?

Jun 27, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
Yes it does, that's exactly what I'm saying! BUT - after returning from a weekend of rotating canalphone usage on a long motorcycle trip (first ER4Ps, then E5s, then E3s - all with the SuperDual), I may have to eat a little crow. The E5s fool you somewhat. When first plugged in they don't jump out at you with the "wow" of the Etys, or even as I now know, the "cool" of the E3s. But they are superb...when the source gets loud the E5s swallow up and distribute beautifully, like a twelve cylinder Ferrari with the pedal to the floor. Unfortunately for newbs like me, Ferraris can be difficult to fathom at slow speeds - thus the immediate apparent advantage I gave to the E3s. The clincher was inserting the E3s after listening all afternoon to the E5s. The E3s just couldn't hang! Loud passages sounded blaring. When the music wasn't very demanding the E3s had a fine sound - very apparent and more in-your-face-noticeable than the E5s (like flooring the gas pedal of a Ford Mustang?)...but when elegance on demand was required the E5s romped all over the E3s. Sorry, can I change the title of this thread?

glad you finally came to your senses
tongue.gif

udderwize I woulda had to send over No-Nose-Tony and Vinny-bag-O-Donuts ta knock some sense inta youz
biggrin.gif
eek.gif

Jun 28, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 8
LOL
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back