e5c's or UM2
Oct 7, 2004 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

enzoferrari650

Headphoneus Supremus
I know I know this question has been discussed many times here, but never really came to a conclusion. I keep hearing that the UM2's have clearer highs and more controlled bass. Also the sound is very even throughout the spectrum. Also, I have asked many times before, are the UM2's bulkier and stick out of the ear more than the e5c's? I'm selling my er4p's to get one of these. Cant quite decide yet.

Oct 7, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 53
hmm, i'll take that into consideration. But i heard the UM2's are a lot more natural sounding. I also would like some info about how bulky they are compared to eachother. Thanks

Oct 7, 2004 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 53
I remember someone in your previous thread saying that the E5 is sleeker, but I've seen pictures of people wearing both and think that they're both about the same size -- going with one over the other will most likely not help in your quest to avoid detection.

Oct 8, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 53
The E5c used to be manufactured by Westone. They are virtually identical in form factor / shape of the earpiece. The E5c have a thicker cord, memory cable around the ear, and have a higher impedance and different sound than the UM2. They both have the crossover built into the cord. The UM2 cord is lighter and braided, and slightly shorter. The angle of attack on the tip tube is less than the e5c so some people find them more comfortable.

Shure gets the edge on warranty as Westone only offers 90 days for manufacturer defect. I have never had any trouble with mine, so I have no idea what their replacement policy is like but I have heard that Shure offers replaecment for a very fair price after their warranty runs out. Westone used to have the edge on price, but from what I have seen, deals on the e5c come very close to the msrp of the Westones. I paid roughly $40USD less than msrp for my UM2s.

I cannot compare the sound as I have not heard both.

Nobody is going to be able to tell the difference between their look unless they get to sit them side by side and look at them. Their fit will be similarly nearly identical and, unless someone is right up in your face, they won't be able to say for sure which you have.

Oct 8, 2004 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 53
i'm looking at um2's off ebay for 330 shipped overnight compared to about 360 shipped ground for the e5c's. But a lot of the e5c's being sold on ebay dont look new even though they say so.

Oct 8, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 53
Why do you want these IEphones? I see that you have the Ety ER4Ps... do you not like the sound on those? I have had both and currently have the E5c. My honest opinion is that the E5c don't sound "better" per say but different. I really cannot stress that they are just totally different in sound signiture to warrant a comparison pertaining to sound or their qualities of sound. E5c "can" make different kinds of songs come out more while the Ety's can really wow you with its treble clarity in classical and vocal music. All good... if you think paying more = better sound quality, this could be the biggest misunderstanding when you are looking at the etymotic high end compared to shure's high end vs UM2s...

At 190, etymotic er4p are a steal more than just the lowest available high end canalphone.

I havn't heard the UM2s but honestly, I'd put 350 bucks into something other than "different" sounding headphones because you got some of the best. Unless you're selling your Etys, it would seem that this might not be the most rewarding purchase for yourself.

*EDIT*
Just saw your FS of your etymotic ER4P. Venture out and taste the new fruits. Good luck with your decision

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 53
no, trust me, i am not biased. I've been here long enough, and I think I'd understand. I just need more bass cause I just dont listen to that much classical music. I listen to mostly hard rock, metal, rap and some soft rock. I just think that the e5c's or um2's would fit my tastes better. I also think they'd be more similar to my HD-600's which I really like.

Oct 8, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 53
but the thing is I still listen to a little bit of classical and a little bit of jazz, so I'm thinking that the UM2's would do me better. Anyone else agree?

Oct 8, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #13 of 53
I don't have the UM2s so again, I cannot offer you a direct comparison, but as i recall, Jasper, Iron_Dreamer, and I all think the Shure E5s handle classical and jazz beautifully.

Oct 8, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
I don't have the UM2s so again, I cannot offer you a direct comparison, but as i recall, Jasper, Iron_Dreamer, and I all think the Shure E5s handle classical and jazz beautifully.

I have only listened to very little jazz on them, but the E5's definitely kick butt for classical, especially for portable use, it is quite amazing to have that symphony traveling with you. Of course I haven't tried the ER4S at length (found them far too painful), but if rock/metal and rap are your main concerns, the E5 will handle the extra classical duties very well.

Oct 8, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #15 of 53
from what i've been reading, it seems to me like the UM2's are somewhere between the e5c's and the er4's but closer to the e5c's. I hear that the UM2's have clearer highs that arent as rolled off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back