E5c beats E4c by far!!!
Sep 15, 2005 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

hoosterw

500+ Head-Fier
Guys (and dolls),

Maybe kicking in an already open door but after having had an E2c for nearly 2 years I decided on a E5c (the wallet and wife allowed it!) some months ago.

But the housing is so big it hurts my ears. I am a sensitive guy
smily_headphones1.gif

So I read here about the E4c being better. And decided, well that should be it then. I traded with the wife again (no I want tell ye what!) and got me an E4c.

I have them both on the test table now for quite some days. But I am afraid the E4c (TMHO!!!!) can not , in no way get to the level of the E5c!

The breathing and headroom of the E5c is clearly far beyond that of the E4c.
The soundstage is clearly more open and wider.

I have played de E5 for some weeks now and the E4 has about 60hrs on them. Maybe I should play the E4 some more? No. I don't believe they will be able to make up the difference.

I only wonder now how the superfi 5 pro would perform.

Sorry, I just had to tell you.

BTW I have compared using an Ipod 60G with MP3@320kbs and AAC and Apple lossless.

Sep 15, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Which of the 2 IEMs is more detailed?

I have just played ´B and B´ from the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet on both a couple of times. And I must say that the E4c has ~something~ in the middle/middle high that the E5 has less.
But on th E5 you hear the guys sitting on the wooden floor of the stage, which the E4 does not show at all. You hear the space they are in.

Rgds Hans.

Sep 15, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 26
Sorry to let you know that Shure e4c has very bad synergy with iPod. If you have another different source, it will be a different story. Also, amping the shure e4c helps a lot too.

Anyway, first of all, I do not know where you got the idea that shure e4c is better. It is better in a sense that it provides more detail, especially in the treble region. Other than that, shure e5c still win on the powerful bottom end and bigger soundstage.

Sep 15, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
Sorry to let you know that Shure e4c has very bad synergy with iPod. If you have another different source, it will be a different story. Also, amping the shure e4c helps a lot too.

Anyway, first of all, I do not know where you got the idea that shure e4c is better. It is better in a sense that it provides more detail, especially in the treble region. Other than that, shure e5c still win on the powerful bottom end and bigger soundstage.

For the reference I got the idea from this forum. Read several old threads about when the E4 was just out.

My in-ears are solely for use with the ipod and that's what I used to compare.
But maybe you are right that the synergy with different equipment could be better.

Sep 15, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosterw
For the reference I got the idea from this forum. Read several old threads about when the E4 was just out.

But maybe you are right that the synergy with different equipment could be better.

It seems that you are not very happy with the fit of shure e5c. Then you should definitely try Westone UM2. It has very powerful bottom end like shure e5c, and performance wise it is really close. Except it is smaller, and most people feel it is the most comfortable universal IEM. Also, Westone UM2 does not have as much roll off treble like e5c. However, Westone UM2 is a bit mellow. You might or might not like it.

Sep 15, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosterw

Most posts about the E4c have confirmed that although it is a more neutral phone than the E5c (whether this qualifies as more "detailed" or a "better" phone remains up to one's individual ears and preferences), they also synergize very poorly unamped out of an iPod.

Personally, I prefer the E4, by a fair amount, to any other IEM in the Shure lineup. I happen to like a fair amount of treble energy and tight, textured bass, although the soundstage is one area where I have no doubt the dual driver E5c (it has been several months since I last heard it) bests it's smaller brother.

Sep 15, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 26
Thanks, but that will need some trading with the wife again and that needs some time now, before I am up again for trading.
tongue.gif

I like the E3/E4 in the way that they are very comfortable. But the housing of the E5 is simply too big, it pressed against my ears.

But with the E4 it is as if you are in a closet having difficulty to breath but you can hear your own voice very well, whereas with the E5 you are out in the open on a big footbal field.

Rgds Hans

Sep 15, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 26
I have both the e4c and the e5c and I like them both and find them to each have strengths. For one, I have determined that I like my e4c more than the e5c amped. However, I like my e5c better straight out of my iPod, unamped. So, this is consistent with some of the sentiments mentioned by solvexyz.

I find the e4c to have better tonal balance compared to the e5c, which is more bassy, and missing some high-end detail. I like the oomph of the e5c, but like the snap of the e4c even more...amped.

The e4c is more comfy as the larger housing of the e5c also bothers my ears after about an hour.

Finally, I agree with hoosterw who said the headstage and soundstage of the e5c is superior to the e4c. Not much soundstage can be had with an IEM, but I do perceive quite more of it with the e5c than with the e4c.

- walkman

Sep 15, 2005 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 26
If you want an E5c-like sound but with improved comfort, the UM2 is exactly what you're looking for. The sound tube on the UM2 that leads into your ear is at a different angle from the E5c, and comfort is much improved as a result. Also, the UM2 doesn't have the E5c's annoying memory cable. Sonically, the two canalphones are closer than they are apart, but the UM2 does have a clearer, more present treble, and a more recessed (and IMO more balanced) midrange. Soundstage is similar; bass is a bit more prominent on the UM2 and a bit better controlled; the E5 has the edge in smoothness, however, while the UM2 does tend to get a bit sibilant on recordings where sibilance is already present.

Anyway, I'd say you should return (or sell) the E4 and get the UM2's.

Sep 15, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #11 of 26
i have the smallest ears known to mankind (okay, slight exageration) and held off getting the e5's for months, all the while lusting after the sound. i finally caved in and got a pair and have not regretted it. it took a bit to get used to, but i find i can twist it in such a way that the pressure is relieved yet i can still get a good seal. play around with it for a bit longer and let yourself adjust. also, by all means, get the triple flanges!

Sep 15, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 26
How about the ER4 to the E4c? I just sold my ER4-P and bought a pair of E4c this afternoon

Sep 16, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 26
It's really hard to proclaim one as significantly superior to the other.

First off, there's always personal preferences.

Secondly, the type of music you listen to plays a huge roll in which of the two you may prefer.

Third, the tips you use with each will make a big difference in how they sound.

Forth, and perhaps most importatly, associated equipment will change the sound substantialy. For example, I love the E4 with my gear, they have IMO a near perfect balance. On the other hand, when I tried it with a Meridian 508 it became overly thin. The Headroom Desktop DAC and amp combo made them lush in the bottom end but rolled off the top end quite a bit.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that there's a lot more at play here, and that preferences will ranged based upon those things that I pointed out. As for myself, I prefer the E4 at home and the E5 portably. This is for a combination of reasons of course...

Sep 16, 2005 at 1:35 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Which of the 2 IEMs is more detailed?

I'd say the E4, but good/bad equipment synergy along with tip usage may play a role...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back