E5c and AAC... are my ears dead?
Aug 10, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #16 of 40
Johnny Cash sounds absolutely amazing at 320 with the E5c to me so I am very happy
smily_headphones1.gif
Thats the main thing in the end... Now wheres that post guy with my SM3
k1000smile.gif

Thanks for the input Filburt,

C

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #17 of 40
I just did a blind test between 128 and 320 AAC with two entirely different tracks: "Testin' My Gangsta" by Three 6 Mafia and the molto vivace from Günter Wand's Beethoven Symphony 9 on Red Seal. I was playing the files with iTunes 4.9 outputting from the Digidesign Mbox's internal DAC, and listening with my trusty Beyer 531's. By the way, my method for blinding myself was making sure both files had identical tags and then hitting the button that switches their order so many times and so rapidly that I lost track of which was which.

In both cases I was able to correctly pick which was which, but in neither case was I very confident in my decision. The main difference seemed to be that high-frequency content sounded a very, very slight bit shriller at 128 than at 320. Stunningly, the difference was actually less obvious with the classical recording. The vocals on the Three 6 track are very sibilant so the difference was more apparent. Considering that 320 takes 2.5 times as much space, it is absolutely not worth the switch for me. I'll stick with 128. AAC is a truly great codec.

I'll do this test once again when I get the nearfields I've been jonesin' for.

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
2)my ipod would crash trying to load up those huge lossless files.

Did your ipod skip once or twice a song while playing big lossless files? Mine is and I'm trying to figure out whether or not it is a common problem.

Aug 11, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #19 of 40
my experience has been that changing the source and/or headphones on the same mp3 results in changes that dwarf changing the bitrate on the same source and headphones. mp3s (even 128kbps) improve alot with source in particular, while going up in bitrate on the same source is subtler. I cannot tell the difference between 256kbps and lossless on the same source.

jesse

Aug 11, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Did your ipod skip once or twice a song while playing big lossless files? Mine is and I'm trying to figure out whether or not it is a common problem.

Mine definitely did. I wonder if the skip/pause was it somehow falling behind and having to catch up and read the next portion of the file? Something related to the cache algorithm that doesn't work that well with lossless perhaps? I still notice it every once in a while with really long songs @ 320 but it was fairly common with lossless.

Ant

Aug 11, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #21 of 40
My MP3s on the iPod vary from 128-320...

I can tell the 128 ones for sure...and some 192 ones you can hear the artifacts...

The most telling sign (for me anyway) is the cymbals...if there is a lot of crash / ride / splash / hi-hat going on... on 128, it sounds disgusting...like its been through a bad robot filter or something... <-- Good professional audio terms!

EDIT: That said, if I don't have it in a better format, I still enjoy the music
biggrin.gif
!!! I don't overly concentrate on the 'defects' I'd rather concentrate on the music!

Aug 11, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #22 of 40
I agree with you and I don't at the same time. Most of the time what people don't consider in their evaluations or comments is how much each pieces of the audio equipment used for making those comments is worth. You can call it snobery of audiophile community if you want, or whatever other name but there is still a lot of people (even those who don't really have the money for it) willing to pay (cash or credit) a few thousand $ to buy a simple, metal box CD player. There is still plenty of people willing to spend hundreds of $ to buy a "stupid" little power cord or interconnect cable just to get that tiny little edge in sound quality they don't have without the expensive power cord or interconnect.

So, yes, the difference might be "tiny/non existant" to some ears between different compression formats and feel "bigger" to some others, but one thing for sure, a "tiny" difference when using a PC with various compression formats and a pair of $2-300 headphones hooked up directly in the sound card may feel "tiny" but the same "compressed" song played in its original format using a pair of $1-2000 headphones hooked up to a $1-2000 DAC may well sound much "bigger".

My point out of all this, if someone is willing to regularly spend money upgrading his cans and upgrading is portable amp, and his portable player or soundcard, why not spend $50 to $100 more, get a uge harddisk and be sure that the "uncompressed" format used will be getting out the best of whatever gear your are using down the audio chain. For the current gear used, the difference may be tiny, but who says the person is not going to buy some L3000 or R10 or whatever high end amp in a few months/year.

May be I'm a snob audiophile after all but that's ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
Honestly, I think the audible loss from lossy codecs is greatly exxagerated in the audiophile community. There is a wealth of evidence available (such as those tests by hydrogenaudio) in controlled, double-blind tests showing that, in many cases (perhaps the vast majority of "real world" cases), one can achieve transparency with high quality lossy formats at bitrates around 200kbps (and sometimes lower).

Now this is simply my personal opinion on the matter, but, I think audiophiles tend to exxagerate the loss in lossy as a point of pride. As the original poster exhibited here - it is apparently a norm amongst audiophiles that one ought to be able to distinguish between the lossy file and the original. I think this is a bit silly, really. These codecs are designed to be able to achieve transparency, and are tested on real people (with trained ears) in order to tune the psy model. The fact of the matter is that there is minimum level at which you can hear a given frequency (threshold in quiet), and information is masked by other information; sometimes a lot, such as with rock. So, both in theory and in practice, there is a lot of information contained that you simply cannot hear. What one does have to worry about is errors such as pre/post-echo, and the effect often referred to as a "swishing" or "shimmering" sound (also some with transients, some with phase, etc.). However, those sorts of issues usually arise at lower bitrates (128k and below) and are becoming increasingly rare at ~200.

Really, guys, there's nothing wrong with you if you can't tell the difference and, even if you think you can tell the difference, you may find you really can't in a double blind test. Placebo can be a powerful factor in one's listening experience. Ultimately, placebo counts in one's listening experience, as this is a subjective domain. However, that doesn't mean the lossy codec is failing beyond your finding the idea of it displeasing
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 2:01 PM Post #23 of 40
I use 224 now, I can sometimes hear the difference between 224 and lossless, but even with good headphones, unless I really concentrate and try to hear the difference, and play only specific tracks that I am extremely familar with, 224 is ideal for a good size/vs quality compromise. For extremely high quality tracks, I might switch to 320 for some of my favorite tracks.

Aug 11, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #24 of 40
Very well said Filburt. This comment should be a sticky at the top of every forum section, but of course... not much chance of that...
wink.gif

Quote:

Honestly, I think the audible loss from lossy codecs is greatly exxagerated in the audiophile community. There is a wealth of evidence available (such as those tests by hydrogenaudio) in controlled, double-blind tests showing that, in many cases (perhaps the vast majority of "real world" cases), one can achieve transparency with high quality lossy formats at bitrates around 200kbps (and sometimes lower).

Now this is simply my personal opinion on the matter, but, I think audiophiles tend to exxagerate the loss in lossy as a point of pride. As the original poster exhibited here - it is apparently a norm amongst audiophiles that one ought to be able to distinguish between the lossy file and the original. I think this is a bit silly, really. These codecs are designed to be able to achieve transparency, and are tested on real people (with trained ears) in order to tune the psy model. The fact of the matter is that there is minimum level at which you can hear a given frequency (threshold in quiet), and information is masked by other information; sometimes a lot, such as with rock. So, both in theory and in practice, there is a lot of information contained that you simply cannot hear. What one does have to worry about is errors such as pre/post-echo, and the effect often referred to as a "swishing" or "shimmering" sound (also some with transients, some with phase, etc.). However, those sorts of issues usually arise at lower bitrates (128k and below) and are becoming increasingly rare at ~200.

Really, guys, there's nothing wrong with you if you can't tell the difference and, even if you think you can tell the difference, you may find you really can't in a double blind test. Placebo can be a powerful factor in one's listening experience. Ultimately, placebo counts in one's listening experience, as this is a subjective domain. However, that doesn't mean the lossy codec is failing beyond your finding the idea of it displeasing
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 4:32 PM Post #25 of 40
People can choose to believe what they want, regardless of facts.

Also, it's important to notice that hearing is believing.

By hearing I mean the feeling that you have heard.

It is impossible for a human to discern whether something really has been heard or whether it is imagined, when we are talking about signals at the treshold of audibility.

As such, the only way to test for this is a proper AB-sub-type test (depending on research question, either ABX, ABC/HR or something else), even with all the problems related to sensory blind evaluation.

I for one can claim that after nearly three years of training, very good setup and very good absolute level of hearing (in terms of audiologist measurements), I find it very hard to hear artifacts at 128kbps in most material when properly compressed either by LAME/MP3 or Apple/QuickTime/AAC at certain settings.

Yes, there are instances, where the artifacting can be considerable, but in probably c. 90% of cases it's complete opposite for me. And I've trained, using most of the freely (and for-pay) available lossy compression material.

Hearing the artifacts has been proposed to be a function of training time. The artifacts produced by lossy compression are not similar to those produced by bad speakers, lousy amps or inferior recording techniques. Your auditory system needs to be trained to be able to discern them more acutely.

I also helped to organise a double blind test (using randomized cd tracks) and with high end audio (stereo/speaker) gear using four serious audio enthusiasts with years of listening experience.

None of us could consistently discern AAC/128kps (Apple's implementation) or Lame/128kbps (slightly modified alt-preset) in statistically significant manner on ALL of the tracks. On some yes, but not on most. WMA9 was a slitghtly different matter though
smily_headphones1.gif
This test will be published. It's not just some guy blabbering on a forum
smily_headphones1.gif

This of course does not mean you cannot hear differences yourself, but you'd probably be surprised if you really did a proper blind test (or several of them) to yourself using a software that doesn't allow you to cheat.

So, if you don't hear any problems immediately at 128kbps (HQ/Stereo from latest iTunes), it doesn't mean you are deaf.

Psychoacoustic compression does work, when done properly, to an amazing degree.

But you don't have to believe me, you can keep on using any which compression (or lack of it) you desire and be happy.

That's what counts after all, isn't it?

Being happy and enjoying the music
smily_headphones1.gif

regards,
halcyon

PS Just so that nobody will use my words as ammo for his/her own crusade: you cannot prove the non-existence of something. Also, sensory evaluation is not easy to do right. It is easy to do a null test where almost nobody hears any differences even with really badly compressed material. All you need is a bunch of people who don't believe they'll hear any differences and don't really want to put an effort into trying to hear. Self fulfilling prophecy: no differences! A useless test.

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #26 of 40
first my quick confessional/background:
rolleyes.gif

1. i consider myself a music lover first, and an audiophile second. there have been many "spiritual moments" where a song will come on the radio from someone's boombox and the music just captures more than ever in spite of its low fidelity.

2. but that being said, i love my hifi system and i am a speaker guy more than i am a headphone guy. ie, i'll take listening to my home hifi with speakers any day over headphones, but use headphones out of necessity or convenience (when at the office or on the go).

3. my hearing isn't what it used to be...a few years ago i damaged my hearing using a paver stone saw without hearing protection. left me with some hearing loss at 6 khz and tinnitus in my right ear.
eek.gif

Nevertheless, i can easily discern differences between 128 and the higher bitrates and the lossless (WAV) format quite easily on my speaker based system. while 320 kbit sounds superb to me with headphones (Ety 4P/Senn580), when compared with the original over my speakers (Maggies), there is a distinctive loss of air/atmosphere and soundstage/width and depth.

Over headphones, the differences start to get slimmer sonically for me around 224. i found that 224 was significantly better than 128-192, and only slightly deficient compared to 256 on certain songs. and 320 was yet a little bit better. i too, like many others, decided on 224 for most of my stuff to optimize fidelity versus capacity on my 30 gb ipod which only holds about 30% of my collection at those bitrates. for the few albums i'm interested in getting higher fidelity, i rip at 320 or ALAC. i rarely do the latter because my ipod and ipod mini are with either headphones, where my discerning ability is less, or on cheaper speakers like a pair of cambridge soundworks power speakers i have in the garage for tunes while washing the car, etc.

so, in the end, i've tried to strike a balance between fidelity, capacity, and application. when i want the ultimate in fidelity, i use my speaker based system with the source material (CD/LP/SACD). when i'm on the go, at work, in the garage, or even sometimes playing music over our home theater system for just background music, 224-320 kbits is more than enough. in the end, its about the music and i'm psyched to be able to carry 350 albums in such a tiny system. or actually, as i now do, i'm happy to have about 70 albums on my ipod mini (whose regularly 18-22 hour battery life rocks!) which makes for an incredibly small music system to have on the go.

enjoy the music!
600smile.gif

Aug 11, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection
I agree with you and I don't at the same time. Most of the time what people don't consider in their evaluations or comments is how much each pieces of the audio equipment used for making those comments is worth. You can call it snobery of audiophile community if you want, or whatever other name but there is still a lot of people (even those who don't really have the money for it) willing to pay (cash or credit) a few thousand $ to buy a simple, metal box CD player. There is still plenty of people willing to spend hundreds of $ to buy a "stupid" little power cord or interconnect cable just to get that tiny little edge in sound quality they don't have without the expensive power cord or interconnect.

So, yes, the difference might be "tiny/non existant" to some ears between different compression formats and feel "bigger" to some others, but one thing for sure, a "tiny" difference when using a PC with various compression formats and a pair of $2-300 headphones hooked up directly in the sound card may feel "tiny" but the same "compressed" song played in its original format using a pair of $1-2000 headphones hooked up to a $1-2000 DAC may well sound much "bigger".

My point out of all this, if someone is willing to regularly spend money upgrading his cans and upgrading is portable amp, and his portable player or soundcard, why not spend $50 to $100 more, get a uge harddisk and be sure that the "uncompressed" format used will be getting out the best of whatever gear your are using down the audio chain. For the current gear used, the difference may be tiny, but who says the person is not going to buy some L3000 or R10 or whatever high end amp in a few months/year.

May be I'm a snob audiophile after all but that's ok.

My point was simply that, in many cases, one may really not be obtaining perceptible (excluding placebo) improvements in audio quality by encoding everything in a lossless format (versus lossy). Now, if someone is spending large amounts of money on equipment, it may make sense to simply preserve the source material losslessly (or in its original format), if not simply because it eliminates a variable.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that many codecs do employ middle/side stereo encoding (meaning the audio is encoded as a middle component and a side component as opposed to left/right) in order to save additional space (as the left and right channels often share information; sometimes a lot). This *can* have the effect of compressing the soundstage in some cases, or causing misplacement of instruments in some binaural (or binaural-like) recordings. I haven't seen anyone report a problem with high bitrate Apple AAC causing this problem, but, it's possible (and plausible) that it may in certain cases.

Aug 11, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #28 of 40
Filburt, I also forgot to mention that, like dfong87, I'm a speaker guy! I use headphones as a necessity, if there is an opportunity, I will always use my speaker gear before my headphone gear.

I totally agree with you and probably most others that using an ipod and headphone, lossless or someking of lower compression it's probably almost impossible to ear a difference. What I was refering to is as far as copying an original CD over to a PC harddisk. Considering low harddisk prices today, for me it makes more sense to store it with the least possible compression because as soon as you use high end gear (amp and speakers) to play those files with a high end DAC, then it is my belief that the majority of people would be able to ear a difference between the original content versus a compressed format. With headphones, I never really tested it, but I would be surprised if guys that have headphones like the L3000, R10,... with a good amp and DAC don't ear a difference.

I'm not competent technically at all with this compression stuff but what you explain in your last paragraph may make a lot of sense and be more apparent on a speaker system then a headphone system.

Anyway, I think this whole issue is probably a never ending debate and one that audio companies don't like very much because it prevents them from selling high end gear to some people who read our debates without experimeting it for themselves and then don't buy high end gear thinking it's not worth it. I mean, a lot of people think a power cord doesn't make a difference on the sound but I'm one that has experimented with different power cords on my speaker amplifier and I do ear a difference, even if it is not night and day type differences.

Cheers.

Quote:

My point was simply that, in many cases, one may really not be obtaining perceptible (excluding placebo) improvements in audio quality by encoding everything in a lossless format (versus lossy). Now, if someone is spending large amounts of money on equipment, it may make sense to simply preserve the source material losslessly (or in its original format), if not simply because it eliminates a variable.

One thing that I forgot to mention is that many codecs do employ middle/side stereo encoding (meaning the audio is encoded as a middle component and a side component as opposed to left/right) in order to save additional space (as the left and right channels often share information; sometimes a lot). This *can* have the effect of compressing the soundstage in some cases, or causing misplacement of instruments in some binaural (or binaural-like) recordings. I haven't seen anyone report a problem with high bitrate Apple AAC causing this problem, but, it's possible (and plausible) that it may in certain cases.

Aug 11, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #29 of 40
Well said. it really comes down the law of diminishing returns which _finally_ got me off of the upgrade bandwagon a few years ago, at least as far as my speaker-based system is concerned. {still adding pieces to different headphone setups for on-the-go travel and music at my office] i think, if trained, a lot of people can recognize differences in components, bitrates, and even cables (although i find the latter rather negligible as you point out). but for most the differences don't matter and they choose to focus on other things. to me, that's the main reason why SACD was doomed to failure regardless of the poor marketing plan concocted by Sony and the others who favored DVD-A. whether most people can tell the difference between SACD and CD is irrelevant. most people have either been told there is no difference (and not bothered to compare for themselves), else they have decided that it's not bother worrying about the difference. The latter, of course, is a perfectly valid choice.

{me: the difference in SACD and CD is not neglible but significant. significant to my listening desires; yet, if i look at it objectively, its negligible in an absolute scale (maybe the last 1% of the sound?)

Quote:

Filburt, I also forgot to mention that, like dfong87, I'm a speaker guy! I use headphones as a necessity, if there is an opportunity, I will always use my speaker gear before my headphone gear.

<...>

Anyway, I think this whole issue is probably a never ending debate and one that audio companies don't like very much because it prevents them from selling high end gear to some people who read our debates without experimeting it for themselves and then don't buy high end gear thinking it's not worth it. I mean, a lot of people think a power cord doesn't make a difference on the sound but I'm one that has experimented with different power cords on my speaker amplifier and I do ear a difference, even if it is not night and day type differences.

Cheers.

Aug 11, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #30 of 40
Well said. it really comes down the law of diminishing returns which, by the way, _finally_ got me off of the upgrade bandwagon a few years ago...at least as far as my speaker-based system is concerned. {still adding pieces to different headphone setups for on-the-go travel and music at my office]

i think, if trained, a lot of people can recognize differences in components, bitrates, and even cables (although i find the latter rather negligible as you point out). but for most the differences don't matter and they choose to focus on other things. to me, that's the main reason why SACD was doomed to failure regardless of the poor marketing plan concocted by Sony and the others who favored DVD-A. whether most people can tell the difference between SACD and CD is irrelevant. most people have either been told there is no difference (and not bothered to compare for themselves), else they have decided that it's not bother worrying about the difference. The latter, of course, is a perfectly valid choice.

{me: the difference in SACD and CD is not negligible but significant. significant to my listening desires; yet, if i look at it objectively, its negligible in an absolute scale (maybe the last 1% of the sound?)

Quote:

<...>

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back