E5c and AAC... are my ears dead?
Aug 10, 2005 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Catch

New Head-Fier
I have just got my E5cs and they sound a million times better than my old MX-71s but... I am finding it very hard to tell the difference between AACs encoded at 128, 256 and ALAC. I have been listening on my headphone out socket on my PowerMac G5 and an iPod Mini...

My question: Is it the source that is the problem or is it my ears? Could someone point me to a song that might better show the digital artefacts of the compression settings better?

I should have my SuperMacro3 amp any day now so do you guys think that this will better show the differences?

Feeling like my ears might need replacing...
mad.gif

Cheers,

C

Aug 10, 2005 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 40
actually, just thank your lucky stars. now you can just rip everything in 128 and put more songs in there! i recently switch from lossless to 320 because i couldn't tell the diff, and now my ipod is only half full instead of completely full. time to rip more CDs!

Aug 10, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 40
What sort of music are you listening to? I seem to be one of the few people on this forum who thinks psychoacoustics actually work. There have been double-blind tests conducted by hydrogenaudio that showed not only near-transparency of AAC at 128 on some samples, but, of LAME-encoded MP3 as well. If you're listening to something like Rock where a lot of the audio information is masked, then it isn't completely surprising that you may find 128k to be transparent. Furthermore, the characteristics of the E5c's output may aid the masking, as I've been told that they have a pretty "fat" low end; this may also relax threshold in quiet requirements, further saving space.

The other thing is, detecting artefacts on music can have a lot to do with equipment used. If you were to use "revealing" headphones with a brighter source, and had trained yourself to look for artefacts, I imagine you may be able to hear more of them. The change of equipment may, ultimately, defeat the psy model. I don't know how good Apple's is off-hand.

Aug 10, 2005 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 40
I could definitely hear the compression artifacts when I tested 128k, 160k, & 192k AAC samples (done blind using song shuffle and a playlist). I finally settled on 224k as a compromise between fidelity and capacity. This was with my E3c's... your E5's might be masking due to (as Filburt mentioned) their low end energy.

Jahn, what made you decide on 320k? Did you try any other settings? And what kind of battery life are you getting?

Aug 10, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
I could definitely hear the compression artifacts when I tested 128k, 160k, & 192k AAC samples (done blind using song shuffle and a playlist). I finally settled on 224k as a compromise between fidelity and capacity. This was with my E3c's... your E5's might be masking due to (as Filburt mentioned) their low end energy.

Jahn, what made you decide on 320k? Did you try any other settings? And what kind of battery life are you getting?

two big reasons why i left lossless-

1)my ipod was STUFFED.
2)my ipod would crash trying to load up those huge lossless files.

problems now solved!

but since i had to compromise, i wanted to see if i could hear any artifacts with...

128 - yep.
198 - on a few tracks yes, and A/B against lossless yep.
224 - same as 198.
320 - dang, i can't hear ANY diff tween 320 and lossless. and 128 sounds like crap versus 320.

So i went with 320! i never had an issue with ipod batt life, since i recharge every day out of habit and i listen to the ipod for about an hour and a half every day.

Aug 10, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
two big reasons why i left lossless-

1)my ipod was STUFFED.
2)my ipod would crash trying to load up those huge lossless files.

problems now solved!

but since i had to compromise, i wanted to see if i could hear any artifacts with...

128 - yep.
198 - on a few tracks yes, and A/B against lossless yep.
224 - same as 198.
320 - dang, i can't hear ANY diff tween 320 and lossless. and 128 sounds like crap versus 320.

So i went with 320! i never had an issue with ipod batt life, since i recharge every day out of habit and i listen to the ipod for about an hour and a half every day.

I had the same problem with hangs/crashes especially with really large files (Allman Brothers - Mountain Jam @ 33mins was HUGE and had problems more often than not).

I also reached the same conclusion. It wasn't everything I had a problem with at 224 but I would notice on the occasional song which was enough to convince me to go with 320 as well. Saved a lot of space and I can't tell the difference between it and lossless.

Ant

Aug 10, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 40
I keep mine in 320 but can't tell the difference from 224. But to be on the safe side I go with 320. There are many songs on 192 AAC that I can't tell the difference with. Many of the being pop music. The more complex music I can tell the differences from 192 to 224. Very small. And from 320 to 224 I can't. Again line-out from ipod isn't the best. So I go with 320 AAC.

Aug 10, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #10 of 40
IME, you're pretty safe with 256 kbps and above.

With a lot of music, you really can't tell the difference between 192 kbps and lossless because the recording quality is so low to begin with (most rock and pop).

The recording quality matters much more than the compression rate, IME.

-Matt

Aug 10, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #11 of 40
I'm an old fashion guy so take my comment with a grain of salt. I've done some testing over time and to me nothing sounds as good as a good old original redbook CD read by a good old CD player. Second to that is an uncompressed Exact Audio Copy of the same redbook CD on your Powerbook with a very good DAC like the MiniDAC. I can almost not imagine that someone would not be able to ear a difference versus your AAC, ALAC and so forth from either an iPod Mini or Powermac. However, if you have to use an iPod or a portable PC without an expensive DAC for either convenience or budget, then it is probably not worth it to bother going up to ALAC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catch
I have just got my E5cs and they sound a million times better than my old MX-71s but... I am finding it very hard to tell the difference between AACs encoded at 128, 256 and ALAC. I have been listening on my headphone out socket on my PowerMac G5 and an iPod Mini...

My question: Is it the source that is the problem or is it my ears? Could someone point me to a song that might better show the digital artefacts of the compression settings better?

I should have my SuperMacro3 amp any day now so do you guys think that this will better show the differences?

Feeling like my ears might need replacing...
mad.gif

Cheers,

C

Aug 10, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 40
Cheers for the replies guys. As I have a pretty large collection of CDs to compress I am going to settle on 320 only because I worry that getting better kit down the road will leave me needing to redigitize all the music all over.

And psychologically it feels safe...

C

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection
I'm an old fashion guy so take my comment with a grain of salt. I've done some testing over time and to me nothing sounds as good as a good old original redbook CD read by a good old CD player. Second to that is an uncompressed Exact Audio Copy of the same redbook CD on your Powerbook with a very good DAC like the MiniDAC. I can almost not imagine that someone would not be able to hear a difference versus your AAC, ALAC and so forth from either an iPod Mini or Powermac. However, if you have to use an iPod or a portable PC without an expensive DAC for either convenience or budget, then it is probably not worth it to bother going up to ALAC.

Honestly, I think the audible loss from lossy codecs is greatly exxagerated in the audiophile community. There is a wealth of evidence available (such as those tests by hydrogenaudio) in controlled, double-blind tests showing that, in many cases (perhaps the vast majority of "real world" cases), one can achieve transparency with high quality lossy formats at bitrates around 200kbps (and sometimes lower).

Now this is simply my personal opinion on the matter, but, I think audiophiles tend to exxagerate the loss in lossy as a point of pride. As the original poster exhibited here - it is apparently a norm amongst audiophiles that one ought to be able to distinguish between the lossy file and the original. I think this is a bit silly, really. These codecs are designed to be able to achieve transparency, and are tested on real people (with trained ears) in order to tune the psy model. The fact of the matter is that there is minimum level at which you can hear a given frequency (threshold in quiet), and information is masked by other information; sometimes a lot, such as with rock. So, both in theory and in practice, there is a lot of information contained that you simply cannot hear. What one does have to worry about is errors such as pre/post-echo, and the effect often referred to as a "swishing" or "shimmering" sound (also some with transients, some with phase, etc.). However, those sorts of issues usually arise at lower bitrates (128k and below) and are becoming increasingly rare at ~200.

Really, guys, there's nothing wrong with you if you can't tell the difference and, even if you think you can tell the difference, you may find you really can't in a double blind test. Placebo can be a powerful factor in one's listening experience. Ultimately, placebo counts in one's listening experience, as this is a subjective domain. However, that doesn't mean the lossy codec is failing beyond your finding the idea of it displeasing
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 40
Well... I have been doing allot of side by side and using CD as a source on everything from Rock to Classical and now 'I may be hearing things
smily_headphones1.gif
' but it feels/sounds like at 128 some of the sparkle of the music is gone... at 196 I still can't hear anything but Ill keep listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Really I chose the iPod Mini becasue I like to think about what music I want to bring with me. I will have about 180gig when I am ready so can't bring it all anyway. Hard drives are cheap so Ill just stick it at 320 and avoid the replay issues with ALAC.

Thanks again!

C

Aug 10, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 40
Well, 128 is low enough that I can imagine there being some audible loss. Generally it's noticed in the upper registers and in some of the quick attacks in the mids, in my experience. So that may be what you mean by "sparkle".

I think you're probably pretty safe encoding at 256-320 for your music needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back