e500's- worth the upgrade from e4c?
May 26, 2007 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Matt B

Head-Fier
Hi,

First post here...

I searched but haven't found the answer to this question in older posts so I guess I'll ask...

I am currently using a pair of shure e4c's that I am quite happy with- but the thing is I really do spend alot of time with my canal phones and considering this I would like to have the best experience possible. I am wondering if there is that big of a difference between the e4c's and e500's...

also, should I wait for the new westone's?

May 26, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 14
I believe so. Many like the E4C, but the E500 comes closer to being a headphone. There's perhaps the bass is more forward on some tracks (a factor which may vary depending on your playback gear, but the rendering of reggae is better than most full-size headphones I've heard. The sound is creamy and full, and fans of Westone IEMs can hear what it's like when it's done right.

May 26, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 14
The E500 will give you some more bass and detail. I didn't like the neutral bass of the E4's.
There's a bit more bass than on my AKG K601's and quite a bit less than on my AKG K518's.

And they make me smile every time I listen to them, something the E4C couldn't make me do
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 14
i have both IEMs and i think its worth the upgrade, as long as you have the $ and are willing to spend it.
i'd say the big difference between the two is more detail, soundstage, and balance in sound. going back to the e4's, it sounded a bit similar, but it sounded like the music was coming from a tiny tube. it lacked the low end that the shures had, and didnt sound as 'full'.
its also easier for me to wrap them around my ears with the e500s than the e4's. if i do it right, i forget that i even have them on, unlike the e4's.
still, the e4's are great IEMs. they have a lot of potential so you should upgrade around it first. getting the right amp for it and source will improve your sound more significantly than upgrading to e500s.
through my imac, my e4's sound decent, but through my govibes and imod, the bass tightens up and has a lot more punch.

May 26, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 14
I'm currently in a very good position to answer this question. I had to return my E500's for replacement due to the cable splitting (and I must add that Shures customer service is excellent), which meant that I had to resort to my E4c's as a replacement for a couple of weeks. This gave me ample time to listen to them properly. I received the E500's back today (26th May), and basically the difference is huge. Although I would say that the E4c were definately a pleasure, I won't be going back to them now I have my E500's back. The main improvement, to my ears, is the bass response. The bass isn't anaemic like it is in the E4c and the extension is amazing. The soundstage is improved greatly, the most noticable thing after the bass.

The bottom line is they are worlds away from each other, and if you like the E4c I very much doubt you will dislike the E500. Is it worth the upgrade? YES!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiezan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
getting the right amp for it and source will improve your sound more significantly than upgrading to e500s

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this, I don't think any amp is capable of doing this no matter how fantastic it is

May 27, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

I'm currently in a very good position to answer this question. I had to return my E500's for replacement due to the cable splitting...

Good point. Please be aware that Shure's cables are widely known for problems. Splitting, disconnects, etc...all due to the thick rubber cables that they use. If you wait awhile until the UM3 comes out, you might find a satisfactory sound (but overall as rich as the E500).

May 29, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 14
No way in hell is it worth it! $180 versus $400? Are you kidding?

Actually it depends on one's disposable income budget. Once you get above $200 the sound quality increases versus the $$ you are spending go down dramatically. E4 is damn good but E500 gives a bigger fuller sound while still maintaining the same level of detail. An impressive feat! If E4 are $180, E500 should be no more thna $299.

Having said that, I still upgraded my E4 to E530.
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #8 of 14
Whatever you do, wait for westone 3 to be released in 1-2 months.

May 29, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 14
I owned the E4c, bought an E500 for kicks, lost the E500, and didn't think it was a big deal and have no desire to repurchase it. Of course I own custom IEM which are significantly better. Still, kind of interesting but I happen to be listening to the E4c at this exact moment.
biggrin.gif
Still one of my favorite IEM in terms of overall package.

I don't know, I think if you want your bass, sure go ahead. The E500 is certainly a capable IEM and is an improvement on the E4c in terms of bass and some improved definition and fullness. But it's still roughly in the same class (just further ahead) in terms of its capabilities to me. Improved yes, but revolutionary? No. I'd save for a custom.

Best regards,

-Jason

May 29, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #11 of 14
Having both I would say hellz yes.

I've been doing some gaming with the E500's recently. Where headphones shine is the surround feeling you get. E500's as does any other Shure I've tried suffers from the same fate... I know this wasn't in the question but thought I'd add.

Also E500's make incredible movie listening! Bass is really impressive, isolation is great so you hear every nuance and treble is crystal clear.

May 29, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever you do, wait for westone 3 to be released in 1-2 months.

Good point! The Westone 3 is the same $ and has gotten some very high praises.

May 30, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #14 of 14
I just upgraded to the E500 from E4c, and I agree with the above posters in that there is more bass and a more "open" sound (soundstaging I suppose). I think most serious listeners would notice a difference. However, to me, it is not so much better that I think it's worth twice the price. "Evolutionary" rather than "revolutionary" is a good way to put it. As if your E4c were having a really good day
biggrin.gif
Nothing like the difference I heard when going from Koss Plugs to the E4c.

The differences between good components of any type are usually small, unless they have a very strong sound signature (e. g., really emphasized bass). As a result, there is a lot of exaggeration needed to bring out those small differences. Take it with a grain of salt when people say things like the silver interconnects they bought are like night and day when compared with the copper ones they had. I mean really, if that is night and day, then I don't even know that words exist to describe a comparison between <$1 freebie earbuds that come with most music players and your E4c. Both the E4c and E500 are fine earphones. If the added cost is not that important to you, then I would get the E500, since I do believe it sounds better. If your financial situation is such that you don't buy expensive stuff on a whim, then I would stick with the E4c and buy more music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back