E500's in the Hands of an everyday Joe...
Jul 29, 2006 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bthall

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not an audiphile, but I have good stuff:
-Ety4-Ps
-UE 5c's
-Westone UM-2's

By way of lead-in, my own impressions of each of the above:

-Etys: Great isolation, great clarity, stick out too far, with extended listening I find the upper registers a bit fatiguing

-Ue 5c's: Good, but not great fit (my problem only). Good soundstage. All registers good, but just a little bit of a hump in the base.

-UM-2's: Most comfortable, very slight decrease upper registers, great bass, somewhat contracted soundstage

AND NOW...taking the above into account, my 1st day with the E500's:

Far and away the most comfortable (excellent for those that like to sleep with IEM's on, as do I). Even lighter weight than all the others. Best base of all (not boomy, just deep), great mids, non fatiguing uppers (the Ety fans might not like the less pronounced uppers), and finally a great soundstage.

Think I like em? YOU BET!!! If you gotta spend $500 bucks, this is the way to do it.

BarryT

PS: The PTH is the icing on the cake...

Jul 29, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #2 of 13
I told you guys.
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bthall
I'm not an audiphile, but I have good stuff:

LOL I could say the samething about myself, but for a non-audiophile, you sure provided audiophile-like impressions of the IEMs.

Speaking of which, I think you have just nudged me enough to sell some gear and buy myself the E500.

I do agree that the Etys stick out a bit far. It's good to know that the E500 will be comfortable enough to sleep with them in.

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

...Etys: Great isolation, great clarity, stick out too far, with extended listening I find the upper registers a bit fatiguing...
...non fatiguing uppers (the Ety fans might not like the less pronounced uppers)...

Really do you find the highs on the Etys irritating, they roll off gently at 16KHz, that is not IMO, a very extended frequency considering others that go far above...I heard them a couple of times and find them the best IEM I have tried so far, not sure about this new model, but others I have tried sounded to me a little odd, and not as fluid as the Etys...

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Really do you find the highs on the Etys irritating, they roll off gently at 16KHz, that is not IMO, a very extended frequency considering others that go far above...I heard them a couple of times and find them the best IEM I have tried so far, not sure about this new model, but others I have tried sounded to me a little odd, and not as fluid as the Etys...

"A bit fatiguing" aint the same as "irritating". I like and use my Ety's. There's just an "Ety sound" that some love and other's don't.

BarryT

Jul 29, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

"A bit fatiguing" aint the same as "irritating". I like and use my Ety's. There's just an "Ety sound" that some love and other's don't.

BarryT

Well, just as side note...IMO things seems to have changed considerably, and definitely concepts had change dramatically here in headfi. While I joined the forum some years ago, the Etys were considered among the best headphones ever produced hands down, mainly because of the accuracy, details, and neutrality, and they were considered extremely natural sounding, that was with the old microphonic cable and blah blah...I never heard them at that time, and I do not like them mainly because of classic IEM fit in my ears, I tried other different IEMs and I could not wear them for long time, but just for curiosity later on, I tried them a couple of times, and honestly I could not agree more with that old concept we had a few years ago, even comparing them with some Shure and Westone models we had also on hand at that meeting. Even more they corrected that problem of the cable, and instead of people considering them as an overall better product, now they began to find more and more flaws in their sound....

So right now the Etys are consider a little fatiguing for many of the user/members (while they indeed roll the highs at 16KHz, that if you ask me, that IMO is a pretty low figure, though the natural sound. DWilson explained why some time ago, something related with the ear channel), and had a peculiar sound, and please no offense intended and I'm not taking your comment alone, as I have heard that statement from a lot of other members as well, so my question is: why the change in that conception? I do not consider the new models as better sounding at all, and some old members agree with me on that...of course, I have not heard all of the new models, but till now what I had, are not even close...

Same happen with some of the voodooish cables and power conditioners, at that time nobody could touch them without being burned in public, now everybody can state what they want including saying that all this is BS and nobody complaint, is that we are getting more technical and less voodooish, or we are getting less educated (audiophile talking) to discern between differences, o maybe the new blood here is not as dedicated as the old members, or what??? or is that we are realized that we have been fooled for long time by the manufacturers of those items??? I do not get it, honestly, but that there have being a change, that is for sure...
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 13
I remember those old days of the Ety being so well regarded (and also remember you championing the CD3000 and why it is you have the title you do, haha). I'd say things have changed, sure, as they are bound to. I've actually found, in some ways, that it's turned into an environment that's more useful to me for a couple of reasons.

Oh, and thanks for the impressions bthall
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't wait to receive mine.

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 13
Well into day 2 w/ the new E500's, I have another comment to make.

First, nothing has changed much from my 1st day impressions, although I find all the cables to and from the PTH a bit complicated.

What I have really learned new in the last day or two is the true meaning of the word "soundstage." I've been using IEM's for a long time, and have a grasp of things like high, medium and low registers, and things like fit and comfort, but I've never really understood what "soundstage" was...until now.

It reminds me of the first time I heard live music played in the Disney Concert Hall in L.A. Until that moment I didn't really understand what the term "acoustics" meant. After the first notes were played, I suddenly did. And it was quite a revelation. Now you might like or dislike those particular acoustics, but you sure knew what folks were talking about.

Getting back to my E500's, I now know what "soundstage" really is. None of my other IEM's come close. You may or may not like the E500's soundstage, but, to me, listening to these IEM's has defined what we're talking about here. This soundstage just spreads all over my head, and I really, really dig it.

Your mileage may vary....

BarryT

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 13
Hey Barry,

Thanks for the impressions on the E500's, but I do have one question. You say that the problem with the 5c's was that the fit wasn't as you liked, but if it's custom-fit, shouldn't the fit be perfect?

I've been torn between the E500's and UE-5c's for some time now, and finally went ahead and ordered the 5c's, but I doubt it's too late to switch my order. I'd still imagine the 5c's be more comfortable, considering they are custom. Am I missing something?

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by SLCentral
Hey Barry,

Thanks for the impressions on the E500's, but I do have one question. You say that the problem with the 5c's was that the fit wasn't as you liked, but if it's custom-fit, shouldn't the fit be perfect?

I've been torn between the E500's and UE-5c's for some time now, and finally went ahead and ordered the 5c's, but I doubt it's too late to switch my order. I'd still imagine the 5c's be more comfortable, considering they are custom. Am I missing something?

SLCentral:

Don't worry about it. It's just me. Unlike the rest of the universe, I've never been lucky with getting the fit I want in customs. Jerry and his crew at Ultimate Ears were wonderful. It's just me. You made a good choice.

BarryT

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

SLCentral:

Don't worry about it. It's just me. Unlike the rest of the universe, I've never been lucky with getting the fit I want in customs. Jerry and his crew at Ultimate Ears were wonderful. It's just me. You made a good choice.

BarryT

Ah, okay
smily_headphones1.gif
. Thanks!

Jul 29, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #13 of 13
1. How's the bass quantity and quality? Please compare to the UM2's.
2. How long is the nozzle (part where you slip the earsleeves onto)? Is it longer or shorter than the UM2 nozzle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back