E500's are in!! Wow...what a great day!
Aug 6, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #136 of 139
The UM2 hissed alot more than E500, but you are right, they both hiss: I can live with the E500 because it is much less. With the UM2 I had to use a level attenuator to make the hiss less noticable.
The Um56s deliver the sound deeper into my ear canal therfore I can turn the volume down a bit. And it seems the sound is clearer and more open than with disposables. Of the disposables, I prefer the modified triflanges.
The UM56 are great once properly seated, but I do fuss with them a bit before I am satisfied. Once in, though, they are very comfortable even though I need to adjust the seal from time to time.

Aug 6, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #137 of 139
Just to put an end to previous posting, I had made about the comparison between the Ue-10s and E500s. Now owning the E500. Having had them for about a week now, alittle under. Using them different amps, and alone, the UE-10s are noticeable better. The bass is more present in e500s and Mids and upper treble just aren’t as good (typical Shure sound). But, they are substantially better then UM2s or E5s. Both of which I own. I go so far as to say, if the E500s were out before, I would have gotten the E500s first. At the time, alittle over year ago, I wrote all the high-end companies and asked them if in the future a universal triple driver unit was in the works. I got the answer that it wasn’t. (I don’t know what I was thinking they were going to tell me anyways). So I got the UE-10s.

I generally very pleased with E500s and I am glad that my wife has a chance to experience something close to that I am experiencing with UE-10s. As a change I found them to be good and maybe as a second headphone if and when UE-10s have issues again, I might get a pair of E500s. But lets just say I glad that I have the UE-10s and my wife as E500s.

The E500s are different flavor as you could say, but not quite as good. Although amping the E500s doesn’t help the E500s more then UE-10s they still don’t take the UE-10s is sounds quality, when amped. Just to back up my story, when I Pmed TTYL, he replied saying the E500s were the best universal IEM he had heard but they were not the equal of the UE-10s.

Aug 6, 2006 at 6:17 PM Post #138 of 139
I've been listening to the E500s for about 100 hours so far. what I hear is great, except two things (even on a high-end SACD player). The treble has a bit of a splashy quality, especially at higher volumes. Maybe break-in will help? Secondly, the midrange could be more coherent and flat.

I like the high efficiency; hiss isn't bothering me.

I also agree with comfort; the standard universals work well, and allow quick in/out.

I don't use the PTH if I can help it due to bulk. I use the short extension and wear my Mini on a lanyard. But, oddly, the PTH does tame some of my concerns in the treble. Either it is filtering them by rolling highs, or there is some change in impedance that makes them a more benign load to the amp. Anyone else here this.

Aug 7, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #139 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycheadphones
I found the same thing until I used the Triple Flange Sleeves which I thought brightened up the sound and brought the vocals closer...what are your impressions when using the flanges?

All my impressions were based on the triflange sleeves, they are the only ones that give me a good seal. I know tips can make some pretty big changes in the sound and they may have had a slight effect on the darkness but I think the vocal presentation and quantity of bass is more a signature of the E500 and will not change much with different tips (unless you are not getting a good seal of course).

Pete7 - When are you getting your molds short for the ES2?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back