E500 vs UM2
Sep 14, 2006 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

FreeBlues

100+ Head-Fier
I'm crossposting this. I responded to a question on another post then thought this might be useful to a wider audience.

Initial impressions based on a couple sessions with E500's compared to my UM2's that I've had for a while. Bottom line is the E500's are "better" than the UM2's, maybe not by a lot, but still better.

Details. It's taken me a bit of time to sort out which tips to use on the E500's- I think I've settled on the medium rubber tips the phones shipped with, the yellow foamies are also good - but based on that I find the E500's to be clearer, more detailed, tighter and cleaner then the UM2's. This works better for me. Particularly in the bass, there is just as much content and impact, but the UM2's seemed a bit muddier and thicker, individual bass notes are harder to follow. I also seem to be able to hear deeper into my music with individual players having more definition, the soundstage is both deeper and clearer. It's kind of like there is more space and air around each instrument.

The mid range is pretty equal, meaning spectacular, between the two. Both are engaging, energetic and musical.

The high end is more different than better or worse. The E500's are more detailed but can sometimes be a bit "splashy," at least so far. This is a description you'll read on lots of posts regarding these phones. I'm not certain if it's that the E500's are more revealing and that the splashiness is an artifact of the digital recordings, maybe the tips aren't quite perfect for me, or maybe it's a character of the phones. I don't hear it on every song and am almost inclined to think it's the recordings. The E500's are far more revealing which is both good and bad. Again, the E500's are clearer than the UM2's but aren't maybe quite as musical or enjoyable as the UM2's. Solo acoustic guitar is better on the E500's, rocking electric blues are better on the UM2's.

I listen to blues, blues/rock, classic rock and pop and acoustic guitar kinds of music. I'm using a fairly decent setup of a 5G ipod and ALAC, (I find I like the ipod's "Piano" EQ on both the E500's and the UM2's) to a ALO cryo dock to a hornet M. Both the UM2's and E500's sound GREAT on this setup. As much as I like the UM2's I'd have to say I like the E500's more. I'm a musician and really like to follow the individual instruments and the E500's do this better. However, there are lots of times when I'm just listening, not really "analyzing," and the UM2's are more than good enough. For example, I listen at the gym. When I'm lifting and can listen a bit closer I like the E500's. When I switch to a treadmill or some such I find I can zone out better with the UM2's.

Worth the extra money? I'm going to give a qualified "no." I'm fortunate enough that the money for this isn't really an issue, so the extra $200 for the E500's isn't that big a deal. Since I think the E500's are slightly all around better I'm going to keep them and use my UM2's as spares. If money were an object I could VERY happily live with the UM2's.

Some criticisms: the UM2's are far more comfortable than the E500's. What the #%*^@ was Shure thinking when it included this fat, heavy and inflexible cable, made even worse by the inclusion of a mini jack connector about 12" below the buds!?!? This is so stupidly uncomfortable that if the phones didn't sound better I would have sent them back staight away. If someone comes up with a re-cabling mod I'll be first in line. In my ears (when the cable isn't pulling, tugging and weighing the buds down) the UM2's are slightly more comfortable. They are lighter, fit more tightly and "disappear" more. PTH is an option I'll never use and I wish Shure had offered the option to do without. I'd pay more to get them without it.

So I like the Shures and will keep them. I'm guessing that at this price point it mostly gets different instead of better among various IEM's. The Shures don't blow the UM2's out of the water, as I read on a post somewhere it's more a morning and noon difference than a morning and night change.

Sep 14, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 2
Great post, and since I already owned the UM2 and didn't like them, I'm keeping my Shure E1 for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back