E500 vs HD650 question
Aug 14, 2006 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Abuhannibal

100+ Head-Fier
Forgive me if this sounds very newbie-ish: I currently use HD-650's with cardas cable and Gilmore V2-SE. I am intrigued by the E500's and Westones... sonically, what, if anything, would I give up (or gain!) by going with in-ear 'phones? I would probably have to order without hearing them first.

TIA!

Aug 14, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 25
Are you talking about trading the HD650 for the E500?

Aug 14, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abuhannibal
Noted. That's probably not of huge importance to me.

then you can probably just read up on the numerous reviews/impressions on the e500 and make a decision. the only difference between headphones and IEMs that can be generally speak of is soundstage. if you don't care about that then you have to research on individual IEM/headphone to see what you like...

Aug 14, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 25
You gain lots of isolation and the ability to slip into your own little world filled with beautiful music (if your music can be described as beautiful), no matter what your surroundings. With HD650s you hear every stinkin' noise that's made around you unless those noises are downed out by the sheer volume at which you are listening.

Aug 15, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #9 of 25
Jasper,

Yeah, the isolation is one of the things that appeals to me, along with the ability to stick the things in my ears and lie on the couch on my side.
smily_headphones1.gif
I like the 650's sonically, and I find them to be pretty comfortable for what they are, but have more than once wished that they were better at blocking out extraneous noise.

I guess it's just a little hard for me to believe such little tiny drivers can sound so good!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

-- Bob

He who dies with the most toys is still dead.

Aug 15, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abuhannibal
I guess it's just a little hard for me to believe such little tiny drivers can sound so good!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a 650 owner and I decided to go the cheap CX300 route to convince myself. This way I can get used to having something in my ear, the microphonics and the sound before I invest any more cash.

I already like the detail and the isolation. This more than makes up for the lack of soundstage. As a speaker fan too I really dont feel that 650s have that much soundstage anyway. The one problem, my ears feel full and a bit weird and sore now (I've been keeping the volume low), so if I can get used to this I will be looking for my next upgrade

Aug 15, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #12 of 25
If you have never used an IEM before, the soundstage difference can be huge. My E4c's at times sound completely dead especially if I use them after listening to my AD2000, which doesn't even have a particularly large soundstage.

Aug 15, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 25
I've heard that the E500s are more comfortable over long periods than many other IEMs (custom fits excluded) but I find fatigue to be a big factor counting against IEMs (E5c, ER4S/P) . There is one level of physical fatigue felt by pressure fitting 'phones in your ear canal - you have to get at least a decent seal for it to sound good, and then theres the fatigue caused by the in your head soundstage which starts to build up for me within half an hour even if the headphones are still not excessively pressuring my ears. Other people are affected by this to varying degrees, and I bet that with continued exposure to a good sounding IEM the fatigue could be held off for longer. It helps to listen at lower volumes, which is easier to do because of the isolation of IEMs, but nonetheless, I find physical and aural fatigue is a big issue.

Aug 16, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #14 of 25
sethk, do you find the aural fatigue only with IEMs. I know a lot of people get it with all headphones but I dont find IEMs appreciably worse as an experienced headphone user and a newbie to IEMs.

I do have problems with physical pressure and today when I showered, water stuck in my ear. Oh well, a few days of dropping olive oil in there should sort that. I wish my GP would still syringe them!

Aug 16, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidicman
...I do have problems with physical pressure and today when I showered, water stuck in my ear. Oh well, a few days of dropping olive oil in there should sort that. I wish my GP would still syringe them!

Did you put olive oil in your ears?! Have you asked your doctor first?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back