E500 vs Etymotic ER6i vs Shure E3C
Aug 31, 2006 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

smsmasters

100+ Head-Fier
I have the Etymotic ER6i and Shure E3C and I was wondering if anyone has made any sound listening comparisons between the three? I am aware that the E500 must be miles better, I just want to know if someone can quantify the differences in terms of sound quality.
eggosmile.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 8
I received my pair of E500's not too long ago, and tonight I decided to repeat my A/B between my Shure's & Er-6i's.

Sorry if this seems too short, but I'll try to contribute further after I get some sleep. Just a few thoughts in comparison that hopefully cover a variety of sound. Included: E500 v. ER-6i, no exper. w/ E3c.

With a group like Nickel Creek, the Ety's crisp, lighter timbre I thought was spot on & I got easily wrapped up in it's allure. With the Shure's it was warmer, just as sharp but lacked the polished high (as we all know the Shure's are rolled-off). The pay-off? No more sibilance! This was such a horrible factor that I had to fight through to enjoy aspects of the ER-6I's advantanges. The Shure's still sound fantastic, and wonderful to listen to.

The E500's neutral presentation gives it the flexibility to play well with all ranges of music I've thrown at it.

Rock, like Led Zeppelin's mix of acoustic & a group like Metallica? I miss the Ety's tighter & higher tonality of the drums, but, again, the Shure presents a more realistic and well-rounded sound, especially in the Zeppelin's range. Now everything doesn't sound so tightly-wound and the Shure's punchy bass rounds out the bass drums & guitar (finally). I will say, a group like Rage Against the Machine splits the line for me. They have a sound that lends itself to both phones.

On classical, this was proably the furthest stretch I took. As you can probably guess, the cripser Ety sound already lends itself to the strings section. With the rolled Shure, you still get all the highs+mid, bass & now the seperation but at the cost of some aspects of the tight string control. That said, full orchestral & opera sounds better on the Shure's. For me, they simply cover such a presentation with careful ease & class. From Gevorg Dabagian's "Music of Armenia" to Handel's "Messiah," it was dramatically more satisfying on the Shure's. Oh, and on treble, you might want to experiment with the tri-flange, I think-I dunno, check the "Early review of the E500" thread going on.

As the Shure's do well seperating instrumentation, it facilitates s a wonderful experience & more dynamic presentation. Example: listening to Beatles' songs, such as "I'm Only Sleeping," "Slow Down," "I Feel Fine," & "Lovely Rita" or Stevie Wonder, Maurizio Pollini or Anne Queffélec's piano, Fugees, Kings of Convenience, Los Lobos, etc. The pleasure I got hearing bits of background pollution (door's closing, piano instrumentation, monitor bleeding, people's voices) which added intimacy & were a good lil' payoff with the Er-6i's.

With the E500's, you still receive those insights, but with more realistic layering. So when Geogre Martin tells Paul to yawn in "I'm Only Sleeping," it doesn't sound as if he's doing so from three feet away. With the Shure's it sounds more like he's actually doing so from across the studio room at Apple--wonderful!

Instead of sealing together one layer of music with the Er-6i's (seperated only for stereo), with the E500's you recive depth and instrument complexity. Ex: the vibration of a strumming guitar or the boldness of a pipe organ . . . again, these roads lead to the Shure's.

Okay, sorry if I've confused, bored, or even mislead here. These are just the streaming thoughts of someone still up at 3:00am . . .
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 8
I still own a pair of e3c's. You will find that the e500 is in a completely different league (IMO). For me, I can't even listen to the e3 any more. My immediate impression of the e500, as soon as I powered them up, is that they present a far richer more balanced sound. The e500 cost a lot more, but are also A LOT better, in my opinion. Better bass, smoother midrange, and nice detailed top-end... the e500 raises the bar not just one notch up from the e3, but several notches in every category.

Aug 31, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 8
One thing I forgot to mention is that the E500 didn't sound like I had imagined. I held this silly notion that its sound signature would simply be all of the sharp ER-6i high and an added extension.
rolleyes.gif
What I came to find is that it sounds as if someone's stretched the tones to the middle, hence their balance, neutrality (maybe too controlled for Westone users based on the responses). This transition from different signatures is by no means a shortcoming of the Shure, as the shift allows the E500's to sound more natural, organic, etc--whatever term you would use to describe what you ate last night, IMO.
tongue.gif
Simply, they sound richer than the Er-6i's.

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by smsmasters
So basically they sound more natural to the ears? Can someone say how much of a percentage overall, in terms of sound quality of course, the e500 is above the er6i or e3c?

I don't know much about the er6i, but I can tell you that the E500 is in another league compared to the E3c. The sound is far superior in resolution, timbre, soundstage, focus, balance, detail and much closer to a live performance, be it jazz, opera, concerto or rock.

But... it comes with a larger price tag as well. Well worth it in my opinion.

Tuarreg

Sep 2, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by smsmasters
So basically they sound more natural to the ears? Can someone say how much of a percentage overall, in terms of sound quality of course, the e500 is above the er6i or e3c?

sorry to inject another degree of freedom, but i'd say ER-4p with additional impedance to ER-4S level is, oh, 30-40% superior SQ to e3c and ER6i, i.e. you won't want to listen to the latter 2. Haven't heard e500's, i may wait a few more months til i bite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back