E500 Triple.Fi or UM3?
May 28, 2007 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

wiped

New Head-Fier
Hello

I have been using my ER-4 for 3 years now with my X5.
I'm quite happy but i'm after something that:
- Is more portable in the sense that the cable should NOT be michrophonic.
- Has a little more Bass (sure i can eq it a bit but still).
- Is more comfortable to wear on the move (the Er-4 are very comfortable in the ear but the rest part...)
- It's also quite important that that i get good seal since i work in a quite noisy environment. I use the foam sleves with my Er-4
- The onese i get should also be comfortable to wear a whole day without problems, which one of the three are most comfortable for the ear??

I REALLY like the detailed sound of the ER-4.
My home speakers, which sound i love is Monitor Audio GA20.

I usually listen to a lot of different music, some examples:
Muse, Depeche Mode, Sophie Zelmani, Jack Jonson, The music, Coldplay, Keane, Goldfrapp.
Mostly Alternative/alternative Rock, but also Pop, Jazz, SS, electronica etc....
As i wrote above i like to hear all details in my music and also i'm very pleased with the er-4 "sound signature" but i want something even better and take it to the next level.. :)

So with this information i hope you can give me some recommendations, here in Sweden it's IMPOSSIBLE to try these out so i need to decide based on reviews, and any feedback here.

FYI i plan to get either the Hornet, SR-71 or Tomahawk amp.
I'm also after a home headphone and have been looking at the 701, DT880 and SA5000, i'm happy too get some comments on these also togheter with the amps.

---------------------

At the moment my thougts are on getting the triple.fi and the Hornet amp, and us the triple.fi with foam sleves.
Do you think that would be a good combo, regarding seal, michrophonics, comfort, details, sound etc?

---------------------
My feeling is, based on reviews etc that the E500 doesen't have the kind of sound i'm after, but what about the UM3?

May 28, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 25
tf10p do not synergies well with Hornet and Tomahawk. Base on your amp, E500 and westone 3 will have the best synergy. tf10p will synergies well with AE2 and Xin amps. But on your sound preference, tf10p should be better for you.

May 28, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 25
tf10p synergizes well with Supermacro Amp especially with the bassboost turned on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiped /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello

I have been using my ER-4 for 3 years now with my AX5.
I'm quite happy but i'm after something that:
- Is more portable in the sense that the cable should NOT be michrophonic.
- Has a little more Bass (sure i can eq it a bit but still).
- Is more comfortable to wear on the move (the Er-4 are very comfortable in the ear but the rest part...)
- It's also quite important that that i get good seal since i work in a quite noisy environment. I use the foam sleves with my Er-4
- The onese i get should also be comfortable to wear a whole day without problems, which one of the three are most comfortable for the ear??

I REALLY like the detailed sound of the ER-4.
My home speakers, which sound i love is Monitor Audio GA20.

I usually listen to a lot of different music, some examples:
Muse, Depeche Mode, Sophie Zelmani, Jack Jonson, The music, Coldplay, Keane, Goldfrapp.
Mostly Alternative/alternative Rock, but also Pop, Jazz, SS, electronica etc....
As i wrote above i like to hear all details in my music and also i'm very pleased with the er-4 "sound signature" but i want something even better and take it to the next level.. :)

So with this information i hope you can give me some recommendations, here in Sweden it's IMPOSSIBLE to try these out so i need to decide based on reviews, and any feedback here.

FYI i plan to get either the Hornet, SR-71 or Tomahawk amp.
I'm also after a home headphone and have been looking at the 701, DT880 and SA5000, i'm happy too get some comments on these also togheter with the amps.

---------------------

At the moment my thougts are on getting the triple.fi and the Hornet amp, and us the triple.fi with foam sleves.
Do you think that would be a good combo, regarding seal, michrophonics, comfort, details, sound etc?

---------------------
My feeling is, based on reviews etc that the E500 doesen't have the kind of sound i'm after, but what about the UM3?

May 28, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 25
considering the e500 have rolled off highs and the ER4 have strong highs , i think you'd be better off with a westone 3 as those are supposed to have the highs as well

May 28, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 25
Thanks for the feedback, so the amps i thought of is not a good combo with the triple.fi ok..
What difference are there if i buy the triple.fi and use it with e..g Supermacro compared to the Hornet, sound wise?
No one uses/likes that combo?
Is the the extra Bass on the Supermacro that is the major difference or what other sound characteristics are there?

Based on what "sound" i like, is the E500 even an option, i mean even if they do sound ok out of hornet, etc...?
It would be great to atleast narrow it down to two (triple.fi or UM3).

May 28, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 25
I believe you should be taking these opinions with a grain of salt, and not the gospel! As has been stated numerous times on this board everyone hears things differently! For instance I own the UE Triple Fi's along with a Tomahawk and find they work well together. My advice would be for you to purchase products from establishments that offer a good return policy and judge things for yourself!

May 29, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 25
I agree with Flashbak. The TF10pro sound great with many amps. I currently use the Go-Vibe V5 and V6m. The V5 has excellent synergy when listening to classical music as I believe the detail of the LM6171/6172 opamps surpasses that of the V6m's AD8620/8610 opamps, especially in the treble, and have very controlled low end. However, the AD opamps in the V6m have wider soundstage, better midbass, and a more refined and less harsh tone to them -- which seems to make it a better amp for any genre other than classical. However, I run the amps with 24V.

I haven't listened to the Westone 3 but based on the reviews I've seen so far, it doesn't sound very appealing. Having compared the E500 and TF10 on many occasions, I am glad I purchased the TF10. They are both excellent IEMs but the highs on the TF10 are so lush, smooth and extended... on the E500 the highs are rolled off and left me wanting a lot more. As far as comfort goes, sadly the TF10 isn't the most comfortable of the two.

May 29, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe you should be taking these opinions with a grain of salt, and not the gospel! As has been stated numerous times on this board everyone hears things differently! For instance I own the UE Triple Fi's along with a Tomahawk and find they work well together. My advice would be for you to purchase products from establishments that offer a good return policy and judge things for yourself!

word. I am happy with trips + tomahawk too

May 29, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 25
The E500 are fantastic. As detailed as the ER4S, they are fuller sounding, much warmer. I've both, I love each (and plan to get a Supermicro for the ER4S), but the E500 are more rich sounding. Further, the Tomahawk has been built for them. Try to gather more information using the search function.
Triple-fi don't get much love here. Westone 3 are said to be very good, too, but some people has noticed sibilance from them.

May 29, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Triple-fi don't get much love here.

It sure seems that way and they have been out long enough to confirm the lack of love. It's hard to figure since they sound equally as good as E500 and are less expensive. It must be the fit issue which I too had a hard time with.

May 29, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 25
To me, Triple.fi seem an excuse to make more money, after those drivers were thought for the custom UE10.

May 29, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #14 of 25
I think that people are polarized about the triple.fi's. I personally love mine, and I much prefer them to the e500's (I have both so I have a/b'd them extensively. They've got more soundstage, much better highs, and in my opinion better bass than the e500's. the e500's have a more forward presentation in the mids (there is no doubt that is where they shine). There definitely does seem to be a group who do not like how the triple.fi's fit. Personally I think they are fine and are super comfortable, but they definitely stick out of the ear more than the e500's.

BTW, the sonic signature of the triple.fi's has been tuned differently than that of the UE10's (they triple.fi's are a little less flat and are less analytical than the UE10's) and if they do use the same drivers (I'm not 100% sure about that one) I'm not going to complain if UE wants to offer the drivers that they put in a 1k set of monitors for less than half the price in a universal fit option.

May 29, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #15 of 25
I can't recommend the Westone UM3s. Just heard them very briefly, but knew I didn't like the sound very much. I own the e500s and listened to the TF10pro for quite a while at the latest headfest. I like them both. I actually find them fairly similar, and I think you'll be happy with either. For me, the main important differences are:

- Triple-Fis have a little more "air" in the treble. I didn't notice a huge difference in clarity, just an airiness (although I'm no expert as I don't own them). By contrast, my UE10 customs have an obvious-to-notice increased clarity.
- e500s are significantly more comfortable. They nestle into the ear cavity, even allowing me to lie down straight on my ear while wearing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back