e500 sibilant?
Aug 22, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #16 of 19
Upon further research of iPods, it seems that another amp might be a better solution if you "bypass" the built-in amp of an iPod. (Apparently the iPod amp is not great). I guess by bypassing the original iPod amp, you are not technically adding another component, rather you are replacing the originals.

Tuarreg

Aug 22, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomH
My E4s are annoyingly sibilant out of my iPod - and exhibit none of this trait while running out of the Micro/DM. Couldn't see if you were using an amp but from my limited experience it does improve the Shure IEMs' performance noticeably.

Good luck.

I've tried them out of the microstack and the sibilance is still there, but ONLY in certain tracks. It's strange...in other tracks, not only is there no sibilance, but the S sounds are almost hard to hear. So the only obvious conclusion to me is that certain tracks have sibilance in the recording, and in those certain tracks, the S sounds (sibilance) are in a frequency range that REALLY disagrees with the e500's since these same tracks have barely any sibilance coming from my other headphones. So, I can't necessarily fault the e500's and call them sibilant headphones. The sibilance is actually in the recording of a few tracks and in those few tracks the e500's are really unforgiving to and really accentuates the sibilance. In other tracks they are very smooth and forgiving - almost overly forgiving in that the S sounds are almost inaudible. Again, I apologize if I'm not using the correct terminology here...I hope you all can understand what I'm trying to say but, if not, just ask and I'll try to explain it better.

Aug 22, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #18 of 19
I have noticed a small amount of sibilance on certain tracks using the E500s with my iPod and lossless files. With an amp running off the line-out though I haven't noticed it at all. Maybe just luck on the tracks I've played.

Aug 22, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos
Does anyone know if is it the same case with all IEMs? especially UM2?

Thanks~

I have the Westone ES3, UE10Pro and Ety 4S and P. The sibilance problem arises (in my opinion) when the highest treble is reproduced with high speed (attack) and little decay. So what is heard is simply the record itself. I have crosschecked certain recordings with my AKG K1000 and found the same strong sibilance as with the IEMs. The highest treble-frequency extension is in the ES3 thereby affecting them a lot with sibilance. That might be similar with the UM2. The UE10 is less affected because of the songer lower mids that are superimposing the highs and let these sibilances be less hearable. All tests have been performed with a CD-player and Meier-Prehead headphone-amp. So to sum it up it seems to me that the Shure500 has a phantastic treble-extension that unveils recording-shortcomings.
Greetings from Germany
Ulli

Users who are viewing this thread

Back