E500 remorse?!
Apr 28, 2007 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Thade

100+ Head-Fier
I was pretty pumped bout finally making my 1st real headphone purchase

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=pushed+button

I just got the E500s and I've been listening for about an hour and I'm already considering eBaying them. Maybe it's a combo of buyer's remorse, my MP3 quality, source (1st gen shuffle) and personal taste. It could be that I prefer "rolled off highs" ? I did prefer the E2G over the UM1 which is unusual. There is clearly way more detail over the E2Gs I've been using but I'm not sure it's 300.00 better so I'm wondering if I'll be better off with some E4gs and a new player for the same price.

The good: I was concerned with hiss on the 1st gen shuffle but a mild hiss is only noticeable on pause so it's totally tolerable

I would probably never use the pth module so I'm also not crazy about the module cord. I prefer the Shure Gs over the C series for the shorter cord which is the perfect length for me.

Whether I keep these or downgrade to E4G, I'm pretty sold on Shure so any opinions on E4 vs E500 would be appreciated. I'll continue listening to give them a fair shot.

Oh.. definitely noteworthy: I've always thought the iPod volume cap was for sissies and girls
smily_headphones1.gif
but I could totally see myself using it for the E500s. Volume levels are way higher and one false move could blow out an ear drum

Sorry this isn't a very technical review
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 6
Give them some time. It gets better when you are used to the sound signature. There's no burn-in, but for me, it really feels like there is one, LOL.
tongue.gif

Black foamies help tremendously too.

Shure E500 is my first 'real' headphone too. My next quest is the amp, yes!! hehe

Apr 28, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 6
hmmm...maybe you werent prepared to shill out so much dough for just a pair of iem.

i think it's just one of those price to expectations types. your expectations were way too high. you were expecting something off the charts for that amount of money, but didn't really get that, so now you are a bit disappointed.

same thing happens to me sometimes. if i were to buy a pair of shoes for 200, im expecting it to help me fly on the bball court, but the truth is, i probably wont feel a difference between those and one that costs 125. its not so much that they are bad, it just that im not ready to pay 200 for a pair of shoes.

try it for a few more days and if you still arent wow by it, then sell it and get something cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back