e500 phased out to SE530....leakage problem solved? Sugarfried???
Jan 11, 2007 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

frescagod

100+ Head-Fier
anyone know if the redesigned SE530 is going to have less sound leakage than the outgoing e500? i only ask because i was listening to music in the same room as some people who were watching a movie, and they asked me to leave because they could hear what i was hearing. i honestly never paid attention to this problem when i had my e2/e3/e4s.

also, i don't listen to music that loudly, but apparently loudly enough to warrant getting kicked out of a room full of movie-watchers.

Jan 11, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 30
There's a long thread going on in this forum about the new Shure line of IEMs, with lots of participation by SugarFried, but it looks as though the new rounded black foam tips being included with some recently purchased E500's and with the new SE line that's coming out may form a much better seal for a lot of people. They will come in 3 sizes (S,M,L) with the new IEM's. I got a pair of the mediums with the E500's I bought last month and they work REALLY well, the best seal in a Shure IEM (I've used E4C and E5C before the E500's) I've ever had.

Jan 11, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by sc53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a long thread going on in this forum about the new Shure line of IEMs, with lots of participation by SugarFried, but it looks as though the new rounded black foam tips being included with some recently purchased E500's and with the new SE line that's coming out may form a much better seal for a lot of people. They will come in 3 sizes (S,M,L) with the new IEM's. I got a pair of the mediums with the E500's I bought last month and they work REALLY well, the best seal in a Shure IEM (I've used E4C and E5C before the E500's) I've ever had.

i own e500s, and the actual sleeves' seal is excellent (using foamies, both medium flexes) but the actual sound leakage coming out of the housing itself is what i was referring to, not leakage that would cause perceived poor sound from the earphone.

Jan 11, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 30
Either you listen to your music much louder than you realize or your e500 is defective in some way. I just recently purchased my e500, which came with the new prototype black foamies and I don't have a sound leakage problem at decent volume levels.

I even had a friend that wanted to try them out and I was sitting right next to him in silence. I didn't hear anything at all until I turned the volume almost to max for him to hear the clarity even at high volume.

Maybe those people watching the movie weren't hearing your music...they just didn't like you and found an excuse to get rid of you
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrwalte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either you listen to your music much louder than you realize or your e500 is defective in some way. I just recently purchased my e500, which came with the new prototype black foamies and I don't have a sound leakage problem at decent volume levels.

I even had a friend that wanted to try them out and I was sitting right next to him in silence. I didn't hear anything at all until I turned the volume almost to max for him to hear the clarity even at high volume.

Maybe those people watching the movie weren't hearing your music...they just didn't like you and found an excuse to get rid of you
smily_headphones1.gif

wow, you're a prick. i hate you.

edit: just kidding. although, if that's true, then some of my family hates me. i am adopted, so i guess that isn't out of the question
frown.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrwalte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to agree. I've not had any leakage problem and mine was one of the first E500s shipped.

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Per the other thread there are no changes and no differences between the E500 and the SE530, other than the PTH cord being an option and a different accessory package.

Yea, the e500 remains the same, save for the new name and new foam tips. The rest of the shure line, from the e3 to e5 gets the redesign.

Jan 11, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodydoorknob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, the e500 remains the same, save for the new name and new foam tips. The rest of the shure line, from the e3 to e5 gets the redesign.

but judging by the pictures, it looks like the casing might be different (the colors are, for sure). perhaps the shape of the housing will influence the sound, and hopefully minimize the leakage from the unit itself?

Jan 12, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree. I've not had any leakage problem and mine was one of the first E500s shipped.

Nay. I disagree. The sound leakage on the E500 was terrible and was one of my main reasons to sell them. The unit itself leaked too much as it did not go into your ear and tips was not large enough (if too large, and I can't even put them in).

Jan 12, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by The-One /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nay. I disagree. The sound leakage on the E500 was terrible and was one of my main reasons to sell them. The unit itself leaked too much as it did not go into your ear and tips was not large enough (if too large, and I can't even put them in).

I guess it all came down to fit. Mine fit very well. I've owned two pairs of E500 and neither leaked sound. Maybe that's why you got customs.
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by frescagod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're a jerk too.

just kidding.

C'mon...that was funny... I didn't see that last line coming... nice setup btw..

I also have the E500s and sometimes my wife can hear bits of what I'm listening to, I guess it's the volume level.. Something that customs can correct??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back