E500 cable cracked, out of warranty, anyone had luck?
Jan 23, 2010 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gnychis

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I purchased the E500's in the midst of all the negative hype over the cables cracking ~3 years ago because at the time there was a Shure representative on the board claiming that if the cable cracked, they would replace it for you. I don't know if they meant IN warranty, or also OUT of warranty.

Has anyone had any experience recently with this issue?

Thanks!
George

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 14
Have you contacted them regards to the cable yet? The best thing you can do is call them and ask. You may get lucky.
Where exactly did the cable crack?

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 14
thanks for the reply! it cracked right above where it sits at the top of my ear (peak of the curve). I sent an email to them for now since they are closed, and I figure I can call on Monday. The actual CABLE itself did not crack, but the plastic exterior (sheath?) cracked. So, I do not have audio problems. Is this the common case, or does the actual cable crack in the common failure case?

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnychis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the reply! it cracked right above where it sits at the top of my ear (peak of the curve). I sent an email to them for now since they are closed, and I figure I can call on Monday. The actual CABLE itself did not crack, but the plastic exterior (sheath?) cracked. So, I do not have audio problems. Is this the common case, or does the actual cable crack in the common failure case?

Their cable always cracks that way, it's a design flaw that I'm surprised they haven't fixed yet. This is the reason why I would never buy Shure IEM's.

Jan 23, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 14
The cable issue was apparently fixed in 2008. They changed the manufacturing process of the cable which makes them far less prone to cracking. I haven't heard of anyone having cable issues with SE530 manufactured from 2008 and beyond. Is there anyone out there that has had issues with 2008+ SE530s?

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 14
ok, I called Shure today and they would NOT guarantee me a replacement over the phone. They said that all I could do is send them in with a written explanation and they would then decide if it would be considered under warranty or not. That's not very assuring.

Feb 4, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 14
My experience is no one gets guarantees from their over-the-phone reps. I assume that is because their stated policy is to only do warranty repairs w/receipt w/in 2 years of purchase. However, I think it is well worth writing a note that explains that you saw that a Shure rep on this board had said they would cover this issue even out of warranty as it is a common problem. I'd mention you are aware Shure reformulated their cables to address this issue in their product starting sometime back in 2008. I'd be polite and ask that they cover your IEMs even though you've had them for 3 years. Send that and your E500s to them with the warranty form from their website. Worst case is they deny the claim and you have two options: 1.) pay to get them replaced (~$150) or 2.) have them send them back and buy something else.

I did much the same when mine finally cracked and were older than 2 years and they sent me new SE530s.

Good luck.

Feb 4, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for your reply... that is more reassuring. I will definitely take what you said in to consideration. I will pack them up and include my receipt and all of the details. I will also print out the message post which describes that they would be willing to cover them out of warranty. It's just a shame because of the high cost of the headphones to have such an issue. But it's life
smily_headphones1.gif

I will definitely keep everyone updated on my situation.

Thanks!
George

Feb 17, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 14
Chalk up another win for Shure customer service. I sent them my E500s with the cracked cable, and 8 days later, I received a brand new pair of SE530s
smily_headphones1.gif

I printed out the forum post you linked me to and wrote a couple paragraphs on the situation, and then mailed them out.

Thanks everyone's help/suggestions.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 14
Congratulations! Glad to hear they covered your claim.
beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Chalk up another win for Shure customer service. I sent them my E500s with the cracked cable, and 8 days later, I received a brand new pair of SE530s
smily_headphones1.gif

I printed out the forum post you linked me to and wrote a couple paragraphs on the situation, and then mailed them out.

Thanks everyone's help/suggestions.

Glad to hear that you received the new pair, BTW you can get more from it if you send for custom.

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Thanks!

send for custom what?

You may check the UM(Unique Melody) for custom IEMs and they made custom IEMs of even SE530. They just takes drivers out of SE530 and put them in custom shell and they can add more drivers for you like 6 drivers custom SE530. The six drivers custom SE530 sound much more cleaner, has huge soundstage and rich details in mids and highs with rich deep bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back