e500 burn-in time?
Sep 13, 2006 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gregeas

100+ Head-Fier
Just received my e500s today. So far so good, but I'm wondering how critical burn-in is with IEMs. I'm a believer in burn-in for speakers and headphones, but I have no idea about these. Thougths? Experience?

I'm using the e500s with XPS M1210 laptop-->FLAC-->Transit USB-->Benchmark DAC1-->SR71. Nice combination -- detail city, with bass -- and everything fits in my laptop bag...

Sep 13, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 8
the people who believe in burn in say that iems and armatures don't burn in.

there is, though, a period of time in which your ears get used to an iem and the sound signature.

Sep 13, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 8
According to Shure, they do not benefit from burn-in.

It is entirely possible, however, that as you listen you will at some point perceive a boost in sound quality in some way. It does not really matter exactly what the source of this boost is.

Sep 13, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 8
Learning how to get a proper fit will deliver better and better SQ.

Sep 13, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 8
I had the E4Cs before, which fit very well with foamies. Surprisingly, the foamies don't fit as well with the e500. Not sure why... Perhaps because they are heavier?

Sep 13, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 8
Well, when I first received my e500s, there were a few track where I thought the highs were a bit splashy and sibilant. But several days into it, either I got a better fit playing with many of the different tips or simply got more used to the sound, it kind of went away...

Sep 13, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 8
Well, When I first got my Shure E500, I noticed there is one track in my collections, no matter what tips I used, the bass will blow out or kinda crapping out sort of bass. After few days of light use, the same track possesses that problem, so I give it 50 hours of burning, and after that, it never possesses that problem again.

I have owned several IEM before, and I know when I had a good fit, so I think burn in does work a bit in Shure E500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back