E500 and SE530 'Absolutely Identical'... Really?
Jun 10, 2008 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ILikeMusic

Headphoneus Supremus
The reason I ask is that I just swapped out a pair of E500 for SE530 (due to the cracked insulation issue, and nice to see that the SE530 has different cables and thus hopefully has the problem cured) and I seem to notice a shift in the sound towards the treble. The new SE530 seem to have a noticeably more responsive high end and a slightly less full but more accurate bass response (this is using the exact same tips in both cases.) In fact I would no longer apply the term 'rolled off' to the SE530 (as I was willing to do with the E500) as they sound brighter than the E500 they replaced, and almost perfectly balanced. I still use EQ sometimes (as I do with most of my phones) but it is no longer mandatory.

Placebo? I dunno, since I don't have the older phones and can't A-B. But there are some other possible explanations, such as a production variance (since my 2-year old E500 were very early versions) or perhaps the filters/drivers had some accumulated wax that had reduced the high end (as certainly happens with my Etys if I go as long as two years without changing the filters.) If this last suggestion is correct then it has me a bit concerned since the SE530 do not have user-serviceable filters.

As I said I can't really be sure but the difference certainly seems to be there, and my guess is it's more than my imagination (although again, the objective side of me can't rule that out.) Has anyone else who has made the same swap due to cable problems experienced anything similar?

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 10
Probably. I had my E500s replaced with SE530s due to the cable problem and find them both to have rolled off highs.

I use the treble boost on my Touch, and while it might over-do it a little bit, I think it sounds more balanced that way.

(I also removed the filters including the metal sleeves, and I think that helps somewhat too. Not that I'd suggest you munge your phones or anything)

-john

Jun 10, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 10
yes i think they are identical. shure brought out the new line of phones (se line) and all of them were modified except the e500, i guess shure knew they had a winner and simply could not improve on it at that time.

it most likely is a placebo effect or something because the drivers and housing are identical as far as i know, but only shure will know if they changed anything, they certainly dont give alot away about what they do or what they plan to do.

Jun 10, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are exactly the same. Go check the graphs in headroom, HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Hmmm... the fact that they are so exactly identical makes me kind of question whether they really did separate measurements for the E500/SE530... you'd think that there would be at least some variation between two separate samples taken a few years apart.

But still, I'm not doubting that they are the same if Shure says so. My only question is why the perceived difference? Given my experience in what happens when Ety filters age I kind of suspect something along that line... I wonder how/why the Shures are apparently immune to filter contamination and require no filter maintenance?

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 10
As I said earlier I do not doubt that they are the same if Shure says so. I believe the most likely reason for my experience is that the filters in my older pair of E500 may have been partially contaminated. I have experienced this with Etymotic products over time but it is not an issue because Etymotic filters are user-serviceable.

I find myself wondering why this is not the case with Shure products (among others, not singling out Shure alone.) Is there some reason that Shure filters will never become contaminated and require service? This seems unlikely, and it might be preferable to make it easier for the end user to address this problem than an attempt at home cleaning (in which case one is more likely to damage the filter than clean it effectively), or return to Shure for service. Why not have user-replaceable filters, which resolves the issue simply and effectively?

Please don't take this as argumentative because that's not my intention... just curious...

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I said earlier I do not doubt that they are the same if Shure says so. I believe the most likely reason for my experience is that the filters in my older pair of E500 may have been partially contaminated. I have experienced this with Etymotic products over time but it is not an issue because Etymotic filters are user-serviceable.

I find myself wondering why this is not the case with Shure products (among others, not singling out Shure alone.) Is there some reason that Shure filters will never become contaminated and require service? This seems unlikely, and it might be preferable to make it easier for the end user to address this problem than an attempt at home cleaning (in which case one is more likely to damage the filter than clean it effectively), or return to Shure for service. Why not have user-replaceable filters, which resolves the issue simply and effectively?

Please don't take this as argumentative because that's not my intention... just curious...

Shure does not offer replacement 'dampers' (filters) for one reason...Safety. The damper is so small that if removed can alter the fit of the damper in the nozzle, when the replacement damper is then set into place there is a chance that the 'user' may not have set it correctly causing the 'damper' to dislodge in the users ear.

Shure will only offer replacement nozzles or filters for the E4/SCL4 model earphones as this unit has replacement nozzles built in.

The dampers will not get contaminated or damaged if the user follows the correct cleaning instructions found inside the package with the product (this means actually cleaning the earphones after use, if a user fails to do this maitenance the earphones will more than likely fail over time due to earwax clogging the nozzle), this information in the manual is very detailed with pictures showing the correct procedures on cleaning the earphones.

Sorry I am responding using another account name My other account 'IEM_DOCTOR' cannot be accessed at this moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back