E500 Alternative?
Apr 23, 2007 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

denisavu

100+ Head-Fier
I just got a pair of E500 from Head-fi to try. Compared to my E6i, the highs are a tad too rolled off for my taste. Can anyone recommend anything else that would give me more or less similar bass and mid-bass response w/o the rolled off high frequencies? I am using it with a Cowon D2 and the Hornet M.

Many thanks.

Apr 23, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 10
you might want to take a look at the soon-to-be-released westone 3...sounds like it might be what you're looking for. if you can't wait for the release, you can always get a pair of um2's to get a feel for the sound signature first...the 3's seem to be a more refined version of the um2's.

Apr 24, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks Jay. From your sig, how do the UE10 and HD650 differ?

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #4 of 10
TF10Pro.............

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 10
Although the treble in the E500s is WAY more refined than that of the ER6i, ER4, it is not as loud. The Triple fs have a smooth treble, thats not harsh, nor rolled off, and extremely refined too.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by denisavu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Jay. From your sig, how do the UE10 and HD650 differ?

the main difference? unlike the hd650's, the ue10pros don't exhibit a slight dip in the upper midrange. i enjoy using the 10pros due to their isolation and clarity at low volumes, though i'll switch to the hd650's for extended listening in a quiet environment, since i enjoy their smoother presentation and larger soundstage.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by denisavu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got a pair of E500 from Head-fi to try. Compared to my E6i, the highs are a tad too rolled off for my taste. Can anyone recommend anything else that would give me more or less similar bass and mid-bass response w/o the rolled off high frequencies? I am using it with a Cowon D2 and the Hornet M.

Many thanks.

since you "just" got them, I'd recommend listening to them for about a week, at least a few hours a day. your ears will adjust to the different sound signature. don't just write them off after an hour of listening, which is what I almost did going from e4 to e500.

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 10
I might just do that. I have a Cowon D2 and it seemingly does not have a true line-out for my Hornet. Any recommendation on output of the D2 going into the Hornet? What IC would you use?

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by frescagod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since you "just" got them, I'd recommend listening to them for about a week, at least a few hours a day. your ears will adjust to the different sound signature. don't just write them off after an hour of listening, which is what I almost did going from e4 to e500.

I agree. I also went from the E4 to E500 and was initially not impressed, but that soon changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back