E5 mudding up my Q40s?
Mar 25, 2009 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KONAKONA

Banned
Well I had been a little disappointed with my Q40s in the mids and highs recently. I was about to go to sleep today and I decided to run my Q40s straight from my onboard audio rather than through my E5 like I usually do. So I start the music and hey, the mids and highs aren't recessed anymore! They were a bit recessed before the burn in and the E5 helped then, but now it seems the mids and highs have opened up without the amp. Only downside is its a bit lacking in bass compared to with the amp, but that's because I always had the "XTRA BASS LOL" bit on.
smily_headphones1.gif

Has anyone else used a Q40 and a E5 and can report on this?

(Oh, and I'll do some testing on this tomorrow. Right now I'm tired and would love to enjoy these headphones while I sleep.)

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 7
I was about to post - I just got a pair of M-Audio Q40s through and on the whole I am impressed - great definition and thumping solid bass, but some more treble and mids would be good.

Drum & Bass is awesome, just some of my guitar tones don't have quite as much definition and bite as I would like - does burning in change this? How long does it take? I'm not using an amp of any kind and don't plan to - just my Zune 80 gig.

Many Thanks for any advice.

Alex

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 7
The mids and highs are deffinitly more pronounced now then they were out of the box. It's a little hard to tell how and when it happened as it's been amped the whole time, but after 100 hours of burn in it's gotten better. I think the bass got a little tighter as well, although I liked the bommyness of it a bit.

If I don't have some comparisons done here in a few hours then it'll be much later today when I get them done, got a nice pile of schoolwork to do. :\

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 7
Double post time!

Apparently the E5 is giving so much extra to the bass (With the bass boster off, might I add) that the bass overpowers the rest of the sound. It's not necessarily actually covering up other frequencies as it is distracting from them, but it certainly veils them a bit. I'll do some more testing today with my portapros as well, but I'll probably end up using my amp a lot less.

Or going in true head-fi tradition and buying another amp.
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 7
Ha - I have had problems with my ears recently and pumped some 6% Hydrogen Peroxide in them and flushed them with water a few times - my hearing seems to be better than it has been in living memory!

I can hear so much treble and presence in the world around me now - even frying dinner sounded great! These headphones sound nearly perfect now - A little bit more breaking in and I'll just about be there.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back