E4C's sound terrible....
Mar 2, 2007 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

lwrs10

100+ Head-Fier
Just recieved my E4c's.....and they sound like crap to me. been thru all the earpieces and am sure im getting a good seal on them...using the foamies as i type this. Bass is there, and i can hear every note....sounds very percise, but its hardly there.....needs more. mids stick out too much i think. and the highs seem to be lacking and strained......im listining to them right off my x-fi with cd's in the drive, and very high quality mp3's...

Now is this because they really do need to be broke in? Should i wait like 30 hours of use before i make an opinion about them? or is there some trick im missing here? i dont want to be dissapointed with 200 dollar headphones..

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #2 of 30
The E4C's don't need to be broken in. And the sound signature you described is exactly the E4C's sound signature...very accurate, mid-heavy, tight bass, rolled off highs, a generally smooth sound. If you don't like it, it's probably best you get a different earphone - there isn't much you can do to make it sound different. Maybe Ety's would suit you better...

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 30
wow that sucks......i honestly think my cx300's sound better.....and i dont make the type of money where i can keep buying heaphones like this. i saved for a while to get these....did alot of research and read alot of reviews......damn being stuck in korea...i cant do a listen test.....

*EDIT* i just played with my eq a lil bit...and if i take the mids out and bump the lows a bit they sounds pretty good........gave it some..ahem..."behind".....but i now can see how accurate the bass is on these things. only down side is my ipod cant eq like my computer can. so....might be time to really look into a portable amp with some type of bass boost/eq built into it...is there such a thing?

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 30
Maybe the ER4 would be better for you, then. Less forward mids and much more upper mids, which is where the E4C is lacking.

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwrs10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just recieved my E4c's.....and they sound like crap to me. been thru all the earpieces and am sure im getting a good seal on them...using the foamies as i type this. Bass is there, and i can hear every note....sounds very percise, but its hardly there.....needs more. mids stick out too much i think. and the highs seem to be lacking and strained......im listining to them right off my x-fi with cd's in the drive, and very high quality mp3's...

Now is this because they really do need to be broke in? Should i wait like 30 hours of use before i make an opinion about them? or is there some trick im missing here? i dont want to be dissapointed with 200 dollar headphones..

I think they sound pretty good, myself. What you describe is how mine sound. Just goes to show we all have different taste.

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 30
you're not used to the sound signature

same thing happened to me when i got my e3g. they sounded terrible compared to my sony ex51. but with a little patience, i got around to liking them. they handle vocals very well and accuracy across the board

but then i got the er6i. and before i got those...i ordered the er4p
and both blow the e3g out of the water

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 30
well i guess i could be considered a "basshead"....maybe thats why they are not doing it for me........got them sounding good on the computer tho....

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #8 of 30
Spot on description from Mrvile. After buying the ER4P most times I must EQ the E4 to be truly happy with them (treble boosted),although I have discovered that the E4 really shines when amped with my Central Station (a solid state amp)-they pair very well.

As team ety says: ER4 to the rescue
etysmile.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 30
If you're a basshead, the ER4s might not be good for you after all. Although they're pretty much the only IEM in this price range that has decent highs.

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're a basshead, the ER4s might not be good for you after all. Although they're pretty much the only IEM in this price range that has decent highs.

Need more bass w/ ER4...slap a Supermini with bass boost to it. Bass similar to that 650. Oh yeah, that's the stuff.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #11 of 30
It's hard to be a basshead and a treblehead at the same time when it comes to IEM's. The only earphone (not including customs) I can think of that does both correctly is the E500.

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Need more bass w/ ER4...slap a Supermini with bass boost to it. Bass similar to that 650. Oh yeah, that's the stuff.
eggosmile.gif

Yeah but unfortunately it won't help the highs of the E4C...they're rolled off like how I like them but they are noticeably recessed and I know a lot of people don't like this.

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwrs10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
supermini with bass boost? hmmm......what is this?

It's a portable amp made by Dr. Xin. His website seems to be down right now but it's http://www.fixup.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back