E4Cs, have them! A proper seal, don't have it!!
May 23, 2005 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

iGory

New Head-Fier
Got my E4Cs today. I'd like to praise earphonesolutions again for shipping them from Florida to Australia in three business days via USPS! The presales service was excellent so I shouldn't be surprised that I got them so promptly.

This is my first ever canalphone and I was wondering how I know I have a proper seal.

Should I be able to have a conversation with the phones in and music off? What about with the music at 1/3 level on my iPod photo?

May 23, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 10
I don't have the E4c, but I have Etys, and I think the seal should be about the same.

The most obviously thing to me when you have a proper seal is that you can hear your breathing pretty loudly as well as other body sounds (e.g., smacking your lips together, clucking your tongue, etc.). Also, I barely hear any bass when I have a bad seal.

May 23, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by zaguar
Were you taxed for them?

earphonesolutions marked it as a gift worth $8!

Nice of them to do that but they didn't have to. I chose earphonesolutions because of their USPS (like our Australia Post) option and I did the maths and figured that I wouldn't have customs imposed, gift or otherwise, if I imported through regular post.

Check it out ... http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4376

The maths on my E4Cs (assuming a conservative exchange rate of US$1 = A$0.75) ...

Customs value (CVAL) ..................... 242.67 (US$182)
Customs duty @ 5 per cent x CVAL ... 12.13
Postage ........................................ 26.60 (US$20)
Value of Taxable Importation (VoTI) ... 281.40
GST @ 10 per cent x $281.40 ...........28.14
Total payable (customs duty + GST) .. 40.27

The value of the postal goods does not exceed $1000 Australian and the duty/GST collectable ($40.27) does not exceed the $50 concession. Therefore Customs would not collect the $40.27. No formal Customs entry is required for this type of importation because the value of the goods does not exceed $1000.

Hope that helps any Australian head-fiers still in doubt about importing.

May 23, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I don't have the E4c, but I have Etys, and I think the seal should be about the same.

The most obviously thing to me when you have a proper seal is that you can hear your breathing pretty loudly as well as other body sounds (e.g., smacking your lips together, clucking your tongue, etc.). Also, I barely hear any bass when I have a bad seal.

Thanks for sharing your 2 cents worth.

Based on your experience I think I have an acceptable seal. How far from audio bliss I am, I don't know.
tongue.gif

Similarly, when you say you hardly get any bass with a bad seal, I don't know how high my expectations should be.

May 23, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 10
If you want a good seal, use the foamies and insert them like the instruction say on their website (roll them first and insert). You will get a great seal and a good sound. If they are too unconfortable, try the flex tips or the ultra flex tips and see how good of a seal you can get and how it sounds. I prefer the foamies for the best sound and isolation.

May 23, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 10
Well, I guess I'm different than many around here because I can only get a decent seal and acceptable SQ by using the tri-flange tips. If your ear canals are wide as are mine, you may find this true for you as well. The foam tips come off as way to thin - very tinny and weak, with virtually no bass with the foamies for me. The ultra-softs work better, but have a somewhat sibilant/shrieky sound with a hollow character to it. I believe this to be the result of larger-than-most-people canals I have. The only foamies even close to working for me have been the yellow xtra-large Ety foam tips - ones which most people scream are way TOO STUFFED in their ears.

Tri-flange tips go in and stay in and their SQ is unmatched IMO.

May 23, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 10
I think even with a proper seal, you may not get as much bass as expected initially. My E4c's were somewhat anemic in the lower registers fresh out of the box, as I kept on checking the seal. But after a weekend of good burn in, the bass has blossomed and the phones sound amazing (e.g. Kraftwerk's Pocket Calculater has a bass beat after the initial intro which was too tight, reigned in, and not all that audible at first, now it sounds very full and punchy).

Also with a proper seal, they shouldn't fall out if you shake your head.

May 23, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 10
I also have to praise Earphonesolutions for their fantastic service too, took only 3 days to deliver from US to UK, just got my E5 this morning and it was marked as "gift"
biggrin.gif

It will take you about a week to find the best seal, don't worry
tongue.gif
, when I first got my E3, I was on the same boat as you, but then it just comes naturally. You don't even realise that you've found the best seal (seriously)
I've tried all different tips and found the medium ultra soft sleeve work best. Triple flange goes way too deep even I cut the tube short and it sounds thin.
If you have Ipod, no bass, solution? Buy E5
icon10.gif

May 24, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 10
I'll definitely give all the tips and sizes a try.

As for the bass, am I supposed to "feel it" in addition to hearing it? I don't know what to expect from canalphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back